Thread: Fix for Red Hat overflow

Fix for Red Hat overflow

I just got this in my mailbox. I'm no longer running Red Hat, but I thought that it might be of some interest to people here.

Pam_smb fix text

I didn't post the whole thing, as it's kind of long.

Peace

Corn

This kind of brings me to ask this. In your opinion's, what is the most secure and stable version of Linux by default? I mean we can all fine tune them but which one do yuo think COMES secure? Obviously I will take SuSE's side, and also they got a cert for security with IBM, but I am curiouse as to what you all think about this.

Now I know this isn't a *nix operating software, but I think BSD is one of the most secure as far as open source software goes.

I haven't really used BSD but from what I've read about it on the internet and it magazines, it sounds like a secure OS.
    =

Open BSD is secure as hell. But Free BSD does have alot of holes yet. Still a good system though.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    The standard mantra - "patch everyday to keep the scripties away" applies to any OS.

Secure 'out of the box' depends on when you get the box. Obvoiusly newer versions should have secured more than older versions - GENTOO - Up to the minute OS

Although not my favourite OS (RH9 is)

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

I really liked Gentoo, too. I should try suse, but I just recently reinstalled Mandrake to help walk a friend through some stuff. I don't know if this is the place, but since you mentioned Gentoo, I have a link to a novice guide to locking down Gentoo somewhat. It's old, but worth mentioning.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-security.xml

Corn