Thread: Anyone know what pmsvc.exe does?

Anyone know what pmsvc.exe does?

Any of you guys know what this is?

pmsvc.exe

It's shows running as a process in my task manager. A google search turns up zero.

Odd that there is not a single reference to this file on Google, yet it's running on my computer. LMAO.

I was looking for a resolution to a problem I'm having with "Power Meter" when I found it.

Thanks in advance.
    KapperDog

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you tried a search a support.microsoft.com?

And off the top of my head, I'd guess it's "Power Meter SerViCe".
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Have you tried a search a support.microsoft.com?

And off the top of my head, I'd guess it's "Power Meter SerViCe".
    I just did a search on Microsoft's technet and came up with nothing. I did get two hits on a google search but they were in Japanese and I couldn't make them out.
    DjM

MsMittens is probably correct here, indicating some type of Power Management SerViCe.

As a word of caution though: MSVC.exe is associated with MicroSoft Visual C++. To avoid detection, Trojans will often be given a name that is similar to a program one expects to see on a system.

I do not think that a trojan is the source of the PMSVC.exe service, but when you cannot find any reliable reference to a program name, via a google search, it does not hurt to be a little suspicious.

---------------------------------------
    The mentally disturbed are persecuted here in America, and I say rightfully so!
    These people are NUTS!
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

MsM..I always try to hit M$ support and Google before asking. I got the same 2 Japanese pages as DjM.

I am hoping it is a power management/meter process and, therefore, the solution to my little problem.

I'll disable it and see if I detect any changes.

Another source suggested it may be a Yahoo messenger file but, I never installed Yahoo on this box.

A registry search turned up a pmsvc.exe at...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet \Services\ialmpa

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 \Services\ialmpa

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 \Services\ialmpa

And, the file is at C:\WINNT\System32\pmsvc.exe

Anyone else have these in your registry?

On a related note..... I believe I found the solution to my little problem.

This topic best descibes the problem I am having.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=327129

I have been avoiding SP3 and SP4. I would like to resolve this problem without patching SP3 and 4.

I'll do a little testing and post what I find.

Meanwhile...anyone have those settings in your reg?

ThanksIA.
    KapperDog

Did a search of all files and folders on my XP box, and didn't find pmsvc.exe anywhere.
    PS. this is a laptop( if that makes a difference)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Just in case someone searches pmsvc.exe and comes to this thread.......

The file pmsvc.exe is the i830M Power Management on the motherboard and seems to create plenty of problems with Linux and laptops but I didn't find anything relating to why it would be running on my SFF Shuttle motherboard (desktop) running Windows.

I'll keep at it and post in case it helps someone else.

On another note, I installed SP4 and it did not resolve my original problem as it said it would, here.. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=327129

I still get a lengthy hang at shutdown and an "End Program- Power Meter" error (as described in the M$ link above).
    KapperDog