Thread: Screen Size

Screen Size

I just got done putting XP pro back on my laptop after I screwed it up with slackware. My laptop screen size is a 15 inch, but its like windows is only using 12 inches of it. All around the edges is black. Kinda like when you have to resize a screen on a regular monitor to make it fit better.

I can't figure it out to resize the Windows screen to where it uses all of my monitor size. Any help would be good
    =

Hmm

Check your device manager in XP and make sure the drivers for the video card are installed. Or go to the web page of who made the laptop and see if they have an updated driver for XP to allow the display to work properly. The only other thing I can think of it try to adjust your refresh rate. Sometimes if it's set to high it yanks away some of your screen.

Another thing is some laptops have a Function key which you press down and hold and it will let you adjust the brightness and contrast on your screen. See if there are any ways to change the size of the screen.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

what kind of laptop is it?

do you have all the latest video drivers from the manufactuer?

mine did that at first, but i got all the lastest drivers from dell and
    the problem was gone

hope this helps

yeah your right.

I reinstalled XP using the OS disc not the recovery disks. I didn't want a bunch of compaq junk on my laptop.

But anyway, XP is using its default driver for the video. It should be a ATI video Card Driver but its just what XP provides. So thats probably my problem.

Thanks for your help

btw: tokeafatty its a compq presario 2500. P4 2.4 512 MB DDR Ram, ATI 64MB Video card, etc etc.
    =

cheyenne1212:

I don't blame you at all for using the regular OS disk. Whenever I do a reload on a laptop I do the same thing, all that Compaq junk is **** (to put it bluntly).

Nice laptop btw. Those ATI cards they are putting in them kick ass.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

I bought the laptop for college. I was wanting it for word processing, but also wanted it for gaming to. I know it wont play games as fast as my desktop or anything but it sure will help me get through my algebra class, english class, and history class. All I have to do is sit in the back and find a plug in for power and ethernet
    =

The Iceman Cometh
    I agree with tokeafatty420. It's a driver problem. Download the drivers from Compaq and there'll be an option to stretch the screen. Problem solved. :-)

AJ

Hi Cheyenne!

Your English reads just fine to me...so go ahead

Switch the damn thing of in algebra.........particularly matrix algebra..............you will need that! as it is a core subject for Information Technology.

History? OK.................I am in an English port called Bridlington.............what is the connection between Bridlington and the United States?

Who built the "Alabama", for whom, when, and why?

Just a couple of things to get you away from those games

Cheers,

Johnno

EDIT: 2 clues: 1779 and "The Northern War Of Agression"