Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 9 Issue

Post Red Hat 9 Issue

Hello , this never happened to me before. But I recently downloaded Red Hat 9 off of linuxiso.org and i am experiencing some problems with the install procedure. Everything goes fine and dandy until it gets to the very end of the installation. After It asks me to insert the second disk i do so and all the apps are still getting installed fine , but whenever it goes to install evolution-1.2.2.4 (GNOME's next generation groupware suite) the installation just
    hangs and nothing happens , and it gets me very mad cause I sit here for an hour and the damn thing freezes up..... Well if someone has experienced this problem before and would like to tell me how they resolved it that's fine... Overall Comments Will be accepted..
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

well im sorry i have no idea. you could try installing from the ftp option, or try remaking the 3rd cd. Right now im thinking that the file is curpted or something of that nature. Again im only a newbie on this one so I could be wrong. hope you get it going.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

n01100110: I've been having similar problems. Except my problems are when it hits disk 2. I've tried downloading, checking MD5s, creating and testing several disks and all come up clean. I don't know what is wrong either.

I think the ftp install option might not be a bad idea...

Off to see what it involves....

PhishPhreek80: Like you said , my problem also is with the 2nd cd. Im positive I burned them right. Ughh I excluded evolution from the install and tried to make the installation small and simple as possible , and now there is a problem installing the GNOME Display Manager. I guess I will try the ftp option.. Later

Did you use Red Hat’s disk verification when you first boot to the install CD ?

I had similar problems with Red Hat. Turned out it was a bad ISO, wound up doing an MD5 and signature check on all the files on the problem disk and sorting through the output before a found two bad files. Then I tried the disk check/verification they have when booting the install disk. It said that disk was bad. I could have saved myself a lot of time by just checking those disks first and not skipping that step. Just downloaded that disk’s ISO again and all was good. ( don’t remember which disk though, it has been a while )

Now I check all the disks right after I burn them, then I don’t have to do it again, I know that set is good. Nice feature they put in to check the disks for you.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Originally posted here by IKnowNot

I would try this. I just downloaded and installed Red Hat 9 from LinuxIso.org (last night) and I ran the check on all three disks and red hat installed fine. (Jumping into my first Linux distro)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have used it several times. For each set of disks I make (different download sets). They always fail on the install of disk 2. Then it can't unmount the cd because it is being used on tty2 (the install program).

I'm thinking my cdrom has gone bad? Why only on disk 2? I can still install other distros just fine. I don't get it.

n01100110: I don't mean to hijack your thread. I was just having the same problems, so I jumped in.

Yes , I tried the Disk Verification program and all of them passed the test except for disk 2..
    PhishPhreek80: I don't get it either , but i checked all 3 disks to make sure that they all passed , and the only disk that is corrupted is disk 2. Well im going to go remake disk 2 and see what happens from there.Oh and heh it's ok Phish , this post is for anybody having the same problems im having , not just me. Later.. Thank you for all your suggestions

If you downloaded from LinuxIso.com you might try downloading it again. LinuxIso.com only points you to where the files are located on other systems, as they do not host any of the ISO images. You may of got a bad or corrupt ISO Image.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Sorry for the late post, but I managed to come up on two articles that might help you guys:

http://forums.techguy.org/t149514/s0...553fbbd49.html

http://weblog.joereger.com/qlogger/l...1&eventid=1433

The second CD is by far the largest, so try burning it at 4X. Might solve the issue,

Good luck
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!