Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Lamo

Adrian Lamo

I was just watching TechTV and the hacker wanted for hacking Excite@Home, Yahoo, Blogger, and several other large companies, Adrian Lamo, called in and announced his intentions to turn himself in to authorities. Lamo (an unfortunate name for someone in this line of work) reportedly exposed only blatant security flaws, often using nothing but a normal web browser, never even hiding who he was or what he was doing from his supposed 'victims', this is the reason he has avoided prosecution till now. As a matter of fact, many of the companies Lamo hacked have thanked him for his efforts. Lamo says he wanted to wait to turn himself in while he consulted a lawyer and heard the charges against him.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...517538,00.html

NOTE: the call on the article linked is not the one i'm referring to, this article refers to the first call a few days ago, the call i'm talking about was just made today, live on the air.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Sounds like this guy wasn't in it for the glory. I hope that the fact that he didn't do permanent damage helps out with his sentence.

I've been following his story pretty closely. He's done some really positive things with his knowledge, and though his intrusions were illegal, he did only positive things with the info (that we know about, anyway). I, too was watching TSS, and was very impressed with his attitude towards his plight, and with his willingness to accept the punishment. He's definitely well spoken, and has a substantial intellect as evidenced by his "hacks." I hope that the charges (which haven't been made clear, even to him) are not too extreme.

Viva Lamo!

Corn

I read here else that he's homeless. literally, look: http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,50811,00.html

The article also contains some criticism of his simplistic hacking methods, but I think what speaks more of him as a person is what he did with them, how many administrators cosider an employee web proxy a security threat? Ask any system administrator and he'll tell you: the simplest hacks are usually the most destructive. These sysadmins are lucky it was Adrian and not one of their competitors.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

It'll make a good made for TV movie or after school special. Other than that, I can see where people sympathize with him. He's homeless and willing to take the rap. I do not see where the glory is though. I do not see this guy trying to get noteriety, but the press and people will make him a "hero." He's no hero no matter what situation he's in. Nor or the companies who lack in security measures. Look at it this way. If somebody can gain access in open proxy in less than 2 mins. needs to do a re-evaluation of their policies, update them or hire somebody that 1/2 way knows what they are doing.

Also, I do not see where prison will reform him... he will have three square meals and a roof over his head. The streets are just as mean as prison if not meaner. On the streets you have no food or shelter.

NY Times are wasting their time.

I don't believe that he's been "homeless" recently. He's been living with his mom. I had read this somewhere, and am trying to find where I read that. The above article linked is over a year old.

Squatting for a while is different than being homeless, and we all know that tech changes much too quickly to be able to maintain a high level of proficiency without access to current tech. I'd be fairly willing to bet that he was not homeless for long.

(I could be wrong, like I said, I'm trying to find the article where I read that. Please avoid flaming if you find info proving me incorrect, like I said, I'm trying to find the article.)

Corn

Sure enough he turned himself in yesterday...

SACRAMENTO, Calif.--A federal judge ordered Adrian Lamo released to his parents Tuesday afternoon, but barred the hacker from using computers, and ordered him to obtain full-time employment pending trial.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/55/32747.html

Wink

Yeah, like he is going to be able to find a full time job with an employer who (1) doesn't use computers, (2) is willing to hire someone who is being charged with a federal crime, and (3) who will likely be incarcerated for many years in a very short time.

Methinks the inmates are running the asylum.

Actually, it will probably not be inordinately difficult for him to find a job in the computer field should he be interested in obtaining one. Individuals with particularly extensive expertise in computer security are few and far between and many companies would be more than willing to overlook a criminal record in hiring him. Lamo is also a special case when it comes to his criminal record. He has always helped the companies he has hacked to secure their systems. He has not used his exploits for personal gain nor has he caused damage through them. As a security consultant he could probably make an attractive salary without any difficulty.

PS: (to drunk on duval) there is already an independent film in the works tha is based on his life and exploits.

Originally posted here by Drunk On Duvel

Also, I do not see where prison will reform him... he will have three square meals and a roof over his head. The streets are just as mean as prison if not meaner. On the streets you have no food or shelter.
    Bubba the 300 pound rapist will get to him. That would reform anyone...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)