Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another new "critical" hole in Windoze.

I can keep them now, my purpose in getting under your skin...Well not getting under your skin, but just pushing enough buttons to get a reaction out of you are done. Sorry I get bored easy and getting a reaction out of people is fun to me.

Now, as for not running anti virii, that I actually agree with, it can work easy. BUT, to me, a user is a problem, most really are not smart enough to NOT open "****MyPCinTheAss.exe" because they usually think it is real mail from a friend.

I have no idea where you work durring the day but it is NOT easy keeping users at bay when they think the "**** my PC" executable is really a vacation for them and a loved one. Which if they worked for me it WOULD be a vacation because I'd fire the dumb ass.

And you working on Irix, man you cannot deny that Solaris RULES. If I was to set up a dream network, solaris would be in it, so would BSD, Windows, DOS and Macs, I like to play. I think the major problem Windows has is the fact that they really don't seem to care at all about the people they sell too.

As for facts, considering I'm a college student who was kicked out of high school, had detention daily, been suspended, was told I would be nothing by alot of people, and got my first computer 3 years ago, I think Im doing very good.

I know people who have had computers for YEARS more than me, and I still know more than them. I guess getting grounded that summer really was a good thing. I learned quickly and had the urges to keep exploring my lil Windows 95 box untill that got boring and I moved onto the internet, which was like a winning hand when I could explore even more.

Within a year of getting that computer I was learning about Linux and things like it. So umm, yea, I think I'm doing pretty good considering the things I did to learn this much. Not having even one manual makes something like a computer hard to comprehend but I did.

As for my actual facts though, I am an OS person. I own about 25 OSs and I can use all of them. I like testing out stability and security on them. Thats like a joy to me. I love pushing them untill they want to shove back. Windows XP is like the only version I pushed that didnt fall. 2000 is alright too but even it can fall down with a few placed pushes.

Linux on the other hand wouldnt push because I couldnt catch it to try. same with any *NIX OS I'v used. As for early versions of Windows....Heh, didnt need to push, it fell over walking on it's own. And DOS...Heh, I'll be nice. Even though I think DOS was better than Windows 95. Anyway, Im watching Halloween now, but I'd like to hear your opinion on OpenBSD, Trusted Solaris, Solaris, and SuSE Linux. I dot like redhat so I'll be nice again, but SuSE is my favorite Linux.

Also, what did you think of BeOS? I bought BeOS 5.0 pro and that was another OS I liked. Needed more tools to come with it by default but it was very good and stable for me.

gotta agree with Catch on this one....Ive looked after 400 win2k boxes for 3 years now...and no problems atall...Ive tweaked them completely and I have to say they just run and run....M$ gets a lot of bad press for many different reasons...me myself I wouldn't touch w98 with a barge pole!!! As for virus's...I agree again with Catch...common sense is King!! Mail is supplied to users for 1 reason only...WORK...so they shouldn't be receiving stuff like dblclkmeanddie.exe so this is all wiped out before it gets to their inbox...

All that said...I do use Linux at home...so at the end of the day its horses for courses and fo me m$ gets the job done...

Just my 2p worth

Talking

Originally posted here by shaggy100
    gotta agree with Catch on this one....Ive looked after 400 win2k boxes for 3 years now...and no problems atall...Ive tweaked them completely and I have to say they just run and run....M$ gets a lot of bad press for many different reasons...me myself I wouldn't touch w98 with a barge pole!!! As for virus's...I agree again with Catch...common sense is King!! Mail is supplied to users for 1 reason only...WORK...so they shouldn't be receiving stuff like dblclkmeanddie.exe so this is all wiped out before it gets to their inbox...

All that said...I do use Linux at home...so at the end of the day its horses for courses and fo me m$ gets the job done...

Just my 2p worth

I've used Win98SE for years & only early this year decided to move on to XP. Actually, IMHO Win98SE was quite good & stable, it all depends on the user. I haven't moved to XP until late Feb. `03, and to be honest...HATED the crappy O/S. It was "stupider" than any O/S I ever dealt with. So I moved on to win2k pro, and im happy now.

Running W2K along with FBSD, what more does a man want?

Just decided to drop a word, opiniated ***** aren't i? lol...

hehe fair comment m8....I had a w98 machine at home that i used solely to play some of my older games on but 1 day she just died.....rip w98

Win 98 is a good OS as long as you don't load it up with a bunch of needless applications. If you use jut office programs on it, then its is pretty stable for everyday use. Windows XP made a big step in stablity though. I can download a bunch of crap mess up a couple networking things, and XP still runs great, but 98 on the other hand will go down on me.

I do like to use *nix but not for everyday use. I use XP pro for games and a lot of office applications, but when I need to play around on a network, I switch over to my *nix box.
    =