Thread: Dual DDR?

Dual DDR?

Hi all, can you all tell me what is Dual DDR? Dual Channel? Single Channel? ANd What type of RAM can be used?

Thanks....

Here is what intel has put out on Dual DDR

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/Dual_DDR_SB.pdf

Hope this helps.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

G'day JohnHACK, here's a couple of links, hope this helps

antionline
    antionline
    and this site

Indeed

In Theory:

Dual Channel DDR gives you double the DDR bandwidth of running single channel DDR. Both Intel and AMD based motherboards support this feature.

I am a AMD fan myself and I run a nForce 2 motherboard (MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR ) Lets put it this way. I installed a single 512 MB stick of DDR 2700 in my motherboard and was getting about 80-85 fps (frames per second) in Unreal Tournament 2003. After I checked it out with a single stick I installed another stick of the same size and speed and gained about 30-35 more fps. Although not everyone plays games so I should mention it helps a ton in video editing and creation as well as other memory intensive apps such as Auto CAD. Depending on what you want to do with your PC is what you should buy (if your in the market that is). If all your gonna do is play Solitaire, check your email, and surf the web any basic single channel board should do just fine like the Asus A7V8X-X. As far as what type of RAM can be used it depends on what the motherboard supports. DDR comes in several different flavors (if you will) such as:

DDR 1600
    DDR 2100
    DDR 2400
    DDR 2700
    DDR 3000
    DDR 3200
    DDR 3500
    DDR 3700
    DDR 4000

Currently the most popular DDR that I have noticed people running is the DDR 2700. It's what I run and is great stuff. As far as the PC 133 and PC 100 (non DDR memory types) they are starting to fade out as DDR picks up speed. They do still make motherboards that support it but don't be surprised if it fades out of the picture completely in the mainstream market. Now don't get me wrong PC memory was great, hell I loved it. I was stoked when DDR hit the market and PC memory dropped in price quickly. Anyway, I rambled a bit there. Hope I pointed you in the right direction.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.