Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Pascal Compiler

Banned

Free Pascal Compiler

I want to learn pascal and ive got a pretty good tutorial, but i can't find a free compiler without it being a couple of years old and in DOS. I tried Dev-Pas and the compiler wouldn't work (installed it 3 times). I tried Free Pascal but the FTP server was overloaded.
    Any other programs?

If you feel like giving linux a go they have a free compiler for just about everything. But for windows im not sure.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

Yeah, free Pascal compilers are hard to come by in Windows. But, you can get Borland's Pascall 5.5 developer package free from:

https://bdn.borland.com/cgi-bin/login/

You do need to set up an account and all, but it is a good compiler. This version uses OOP and includes the Turbo Assembler.

While not free, you might be able to find older versions of Delphi for cheap or nothing. Version 2.0 is very like the original structured Pascal in code, with a Visual Studio-like interface.

I've used the 5.5 version under XP, BTW, just for grins. You can actually write and compile apps that run in XP with it. Just remember not to try direct hardware access from the code. That will only work in Win9x.

err...i am kinda young so i dont really know the history of computer programming languages...but if i am not mistaken isnt PASCAL really old? I mean, C/C++ is getting old, but PASCAL is really old. Why do you want to learn PASCAL?
    *kinda off topic i know...i am just curious*
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Banned
    The reason i want to learn pascal is that it is very easy and in about 30 years there will be few people who know how to write programs in that language. Plus it doesnt crash ur comp as much as C++ does.
    Yo h3r3tic did u even read my post. Stupid

Long time since I wrote something at AO but to all who remembers me <waves>.

A source I found helpful to keep track of free compilers (and other programming related stuff) are thefreecountry.com or a direct link to the page you may find most interesting "Free compilers compilers for the Pascal and Delphi programming languages" (scroll down on the page).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Micael

mikem0327,
    You said you have a good tutorial. Is it on line were the rest of us may take a look? If so, post the link. Thanks

Freddy

PS and be nice, please.
    cybnut

Re: Free Pascal Compiler

Originally posted here by mikem0327
    I want to learn pascal and ive got a pretty good tutorial, but i can't find a free compiler without it being a couple of years old and in DOS. I tried Dev-Pas and the compiler wouldn't work (installed it 3 times). I tried Free Pascal but the FTP server was overloaded.
    Any other programs?
    If your really stuck , and can't get what you want, pm me, and I will see about getting you a copy of Turbo Pascal for Windows, it's on four zip files, and you will have to create install disks on floppies. No guarantees, as it is an old program and I was more comfortable with the DOS version of Turbo pascal

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by White_Eskimo
    err...i am kinda young so i dont really know the history of computer programming languages...but if i am not mistaken isnt PASCAL really old? I mean, C/C++ is getting old, but PASCAL is really old. Why do you want to learn PASCAL?
    *kinda off topic i know...i am just curious*
    Burn the heretic

Pascal is old, but it's good - and it's grown up - Delphi/Kylix are very good languages.

Oh, and there is an open edition of Kylix3 Free from Borland (Linux Users)

http://www.borland.com/products/down...oad_kylix.html - Click on Open Edition

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com