Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does a Firewall slowdown downloading/uploading speed?

Slarty's comments are interesting. I have seen e-mail servers almost grind to a halt, because of emergency content filtering to block particular virus attacks.

Some organisations get third parties to handle their external e-mail. This includes content filtering and AV scanning. Frequently they use up to four different AVs that are updated hourly. One of these will be a "heuristics" based scanner that looks for "new" viruses based on behavioural analysis.

This slows down your e-mail, but you so not "see" it, as it is happening remotely, and your local server is running "normally" particularly for internal e-mails. You could probably create this yourself if you separated internal and external connectivity.

Cheers

It does slow down your up/down speed but not to a degree that is noticable. It would be also difficult to measure the amount of the slowdown ad there are a lot of other factors tha might contribute to the slowdown. remote server, ISP bandwidth..... It slows down cos the system will have to check the incoming/outgoing traffic with the set of of rules to determine what to allow in and what not to.

Even after saynig all this, i have to add that you will not notice the difference in speed when up/downloading and also there might be other things affecting the speed.

Anyway, its better to have a firewall when you are connected. especially if its been confgiured right

In my experience

In my experience:

I was running ZA and had everything set up perfectly the way I wanted it. When I got online to play Unreal Tournament 2003 my ping which was usually around 90-130 was up around 330-380 and it sucked big time. Thinking it was a ZA problem I uninstalled it and installed Tiny Personal Firewall with the same results. I assume this is because you are playing with up to 15 (16 counting yourself) players that the firewall is analyzing the data you are getting from them which is a hell of a lot in a big game. After I discovered that this was a problem (for me) I got a router and just locked the bastard down and uninstalled my software firewall. My ping went back to normal but I'm still not that good online in UT2K3 (lol). Like I said this is just my experience.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

all you have to do is tell your firewall to let the game thru and you will go back to the normal ping.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Normally a software firewall will utilise much more resources ie CPU, and memory than a hardware firewall. A hardware firewall is a dedicated hardware to do filtering, else on a software firewall, you are running a software on top of the PC. How the CPU,memory resources are allocated are dependant on the OS of the PC.

A general rule of every firewall is this;
    1) The more rules you have, the slower your firewall will be.
    2) Hardware firewall is always faster than software firewall, but it is more expensive.

I think the best way to put it is:

If you have a well to over-powered system anyway - you'll never notice the differance...

If you have an average built or couple year old sytem - you'll notice a little bit of a differance, but not much...

If you have a system that is outdated or so low on resources its already slow - you'll likely notice a big differance

(And then obviously many varying degrees of severities in between each)

As they tend to effect CPU and Memory more then actual download/upload speeds, but if your CPU is already being overworked, or your systems already low on resources - well then the added load is going to be quite noticable... So obviously, the more overpowered your CPU and the lighter your resource load, the less your going to notice it...

and not to knock what ericc said - but

This is in regards to software firewalls which other then some of the most basic ones, do something differant then hardware firewalls do - which is why its always a good suggestion to run BOTH...

RRP