Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Windows

This thread should be called WinXP annoyances (well general windows for that matter).
    the "features" that are added and/or removed from on version to another.. see they removed Crashalot.exe and replaced it with Remove-commonUsedDesktopIcons.exe.

I hate WinXP, the All Programs menu dosen't sort the folders and programs in alpabetical order.. I much rather Win 95 it atleast did that[
    dambed and I love trying to find a program icon among the 150 or so that are on the desktop also.. wtf is the Quickstart toolbar and why should I use it
    I don't need that buble help, it is bloody annoying.. they shouldn't impose such crap on users
    Oh.. I wonder what that icon is, I dont want to open my dialup status but I wonder what i have d/l sofar...
    and that poxy Blue in the standard setup
    Well I love blue.. so there

Just a bit of light heartedness..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yes!
    That's exactly my thoughts.
    It is the most annoying system i have used but i guess i will get used to it and be able to set it how i like it?
    I could format Win98 & SE and also WinME so easy but the installation of XP was not so easy or simple.
    During the installation was a shock of seeing if i needed help to go to microsoft website and URL was shown on screen...At this stage i could not get to it as windows was still installing and i had no modem working.

I was warned that even before plugging in my modem to install service pack 1 also latest patches for XP and blaster worm patch..Is that neccesary?
    (Total of about 150mb...had these on disk)
    Was thinking the novice installer would not know this an infected very quickly online.

I love windows XP. I have it on 3 systems, and never have any problems out of it. I manually installed all of them which was very easy, hell, Win 98, Me, NT, and Server 2003 are easy to set up to. To me, Windows XP is as stable as *nix. At least it is as long as you don't clutter it up.

I never patched my XP systems for blaster, but I am behind a firewall, and had file and print sharing disabled. So I was never infected.

As far as the balloon things popping up telling you your connected, or theres unused Icons on your desktop, there is a way to stop those.
    =

I had firewall installed and print and file sharing off too before going online.

I'm learning where things are to turn off little pop-up's and comming back to this topic to learn more.

I had WinMe setup with partitioned drive(C: & D and setting up windows to C:...The wording that it gives to you for clearing the C: drive before installing is confusing.
    The words "DELETE" should not be used and "Format" should be.
    I thought it wanted to delete my partitions?
    Setting this up again required me to take computer to brother as i have not learned this yet.So this choice was hard to make without help.
    Normally i use DOS(floppy disk) to clear my hard drive with "Deltree C:" but this time i booted from CD(xp).

Simple changes sometimes can be a piss off..
    The new BLUE is calming me down slowly.

Moxnix no offense do not take this the wrong way but i think on your message the thing shows my IP adress and i got a problem i am afraid that someone may go to this site using my PC and get my ip and info. I am not asking you to get it off just letting you know. And If anyone of you guys want to cahnge anything in your computer use the edit command or use the regedit. Thanks guys for your help.

Back to the grouping simmilar windows thing...

For those that don't know about it (im not sure how popular this is), the start menu/bar can be moved to the sides of the screen by unlocking the bar, then just clicking and dragging to where you want it. From there, you can resize it to fit your needs. I do this if I am working on a program or website where I may want to have 15 windows open, it makes it easier to see where things are and what you have open.
    severe limitation

Originally posted here by latiff
    Moxnix no offense do not take this the wrong way but i think on your message the thing shows my IP adress and i got a problem i am afraid that someone may go to this site using my PC and get my ip and info. I am not asking you to get it off just letting you know.
    How did I get into this??
    Off topic answer: latiff don't worry, your IP only shows to you. When I see the same signature it shows my information, as it does for anyone viewing it. The only way anyone else besides you could see this information, is to be looking over your shoulder and reading your monitor.
    [edit] Oooppps, just reread your post. " i got a problem i am afraid that someone may go to this site using my PC " Sorry, I can't help you with that. Physical security of your own pc is entirely up to you. But if you are worried some one may get your IP address while using your PC, you are worrying about an insignificant piece of data, where as you could lose anything that is on your box including any passwords, or credit card information and such that you might have on your box. [edit/]
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

noting to speak about it i just dont want totalk abt windows stupid windws
    keep cool and practice soon you will overcome everything