Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: social engineering links or tutortials/examples?

"Got tons of info, even taught a short class on it...but like Tiger Shark said: why do you want to know? Who you trying to hack?"

Put up or shut up , really it is irrelevant what he is up to if you post it on a public bbs , you are showing it to tons of people good and bad. Thats just the way it is.
    thesecession if you pm me your password and ip addy i will send you a whole bunch of info on social engineering.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

If you want a good pool of information go to amazon.com and order "The Art of Deception" by Kevin D. Mitnick. If you don't know who Mitnick is, I'd recogmend researching him before you order the book so that you understand just how powerful the knowledge in his book is. He is one of the greatest social engineers in the last 20 years and his exploits were done mostly through gullable people and his thorough understanding of human nature...very insightful indeed.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani

i would think if you need lessons on social engineering you'll probably be the one who gets taken advantage of
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    i would think if you need lessons on social engineering you'll probably be the one who gets taken advantage of
    Not necessarily... I have had a few assignments which required me to socially engineer passwords and credit card numbers and the like from other students. I can't social engineer worth s**t. I'm just no good at it. I have also been the intended target of these attacks and recognized them for what they were. Although I can recognize the attack, I cannot recreate it successfully. I may one day find a use for it, however I will need to learn how first.

Thesecession, this is not a place where you will learn how to take advantage of people. People here will teach you how not to be taken advantage of, and how to stop other people from being taken advantage of. If you wish to learn how to exploit others, please take your questions elsewhere.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Have a read of Kevin Mitniks book "The Art of Deception".

Although I totally disagree with Mitniks actions and happy he did some time, I found his book rather interesting. If you want to read more about social engineering I would recommend it.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge

thesecession if you pm me your password and ip addy i will send you a whole bunch of info on social engineering.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

Eh, did somebody call the google guy?

Actually here at ao, social engineering has been discussed a lot. So I guess telling him/her where to find the info is pretty harmless, since anybody can find it here themselves. There are even four tutorials were written about it (tho only two are in negative's tutorial index):
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=247701 - whizkid2300 (2003)
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=238683 - Spyrus (2003)
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231674 - jdenny (2002)
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=140632 - Remote_Access_ (2002)

The most (only) important thing you need to learn from social engineering is how to combat it...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

SE

Just some random SE links..

from nmap os fingerprinting faq:
    Another possible use is for social engineering. Lets say that you are
    scanning your target company and Nmap reports a 'Datavoice TxPORT
    PRISM 3000 T1 CSU/DSU 6.22/2.06'. The hacker might now call up the
    target pretending to be 'Datavoice support' and discuss some issues
    about their PRISM 3000. "We are going to announce a security hole
    soon, but first we want all our current customers to install the patch
    -- I just mailed it to you ..." Some naive administrators might
    assume that only an authorized engineer from Datavoice would know so
    much about their CSU/DSU.
    http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap-fingerprinting-article.html

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1527 also a good read
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Once again we see the same old arguments on AO.

I'm not going to tell you how to do that because it's naughty & we wont help people be naughty at AO
    This is a public board, it's okay to publish or ask anything, since all knowledge is good
    And of course the AP bull that goes with all of that.

thesecession posted a perfectly reasonable question, asking to be pointed in the direction of some info and bingo he gets negged.

I know we all won't agree here, but would it be possible for all us to exercise a little restraint with the negs.

Otherwise lurkers will be too afraid to post for the fear of being negged and we don't want that, do we?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    here is a copy of his BOOK .... I have found it on some PC... on my School LAN....
    it is a gr8 book...... But after u read it u just notice that U have been using those tactics since u wer able to talk..... just watch children... remeber the GOOD ol'days... every person with a mind on his sholders...is a social engenirs....... this is just human nature ..

PS: If is not permited to put this book here plz tell me .. I will dell it Asap