Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New computer and opinion/Alienware questions

New computer and opinion/Alienware questions

Ok, I just got like a grand in cash and I know what I'm thinking; New PC on my network. Now, in the last 4 years Iv bought 4 computers. I destroyed my first one by accident, and my ex GF ganked one off me so I lhave 2 up and running right now. My Mom has a computer too that I popped on my network.

Ok enough intro, I want some opinions from everyone here. Iv been looking at and drooling over an Alienware for a while now. The best buy store here in Port Huron Michigan has Alienware PCs right in the store you can play on. Iv heard nothing but good about these machines. But to the people here who arentafraid to say something sucks; What do you think?

Is it worth the 3,000 dollars? The PC Im typing this on costed more than an Alienware and was my second computer I ever bought, It was about 3 and a half years ago. Heh, I dont like cheap, I bougth an Emachine once. I had my first PC but in 6 months it was dead so I bought this. Then about 5 months later I bought an emachine. Which the PC wasnt THAT bad but I really dont like cheap ****.

I'm looking on the Alienware website right now and drooling again. Now, I can get a Compaq with a 2.7 GHz Celeron processor and like half a GB of RAM and an 80 GB or so HD in it for like 500 dollars brand new. But I was wondering; What do you all think of Celeron Processors? Iv heard both good and bad about them but I have only used one like once. So what is your opinion on Celeron processors?

Also, I might be able to hook up a deal and get the Alienware. But I want to know a few specfic things/ Opinions. For one, Celeron processors, do they run hot? Im really a system coolent freak and I dont like things running hot. So I want to know how you all think about celerons and cooling. Also, Whatabout the Alienware? I know they have huge ass cases and fans, and they also have vents in the front, but have any of you heard or used one of them and know how good they actually cool?

Also, the new AMD 64s can come in an Alienware..... *drooling* But AMDs Iv heard run extremly hot, what do you all think of this? Would you go for an Aurora or an Area 51? The aurora is the 64 bit one and the Area 51 is the Pentium 4.

Which brings up the next part of this thread; Howabout Pentium 4s? How hot do they go? What do you think of them?

Now, the Machine will be used for....A **** load. Im not a "Gamer" But I do love playing Unreal Tournament and **** like that. Also I like Resident Evil too. Anyway, It will also be used for internet, mail, Web surfing, web development, some security tests, and also, reliability tests. So the Machine has to be able to be on for a month or so without overheating.

Can a Celeron system tay up for a month or more without overheating? Without adding extra coolent? I think it comes with 3 fans in the case and it also like the Alienware comes with vents on the front.

Could an AMD 64 stay up that long without needing a shut down cooling session? Iv heard that the alienwares actually are good for cooling but I want YOUR opinion on it. I dont want the new PC to have to be shutdown for a while because its overheating or something.

So, what do you all think? I can get the Celeron system on Friday and I will be. But what do you all think of the Celerons? It is a good system, especially for the price. But what do YOU guys think?

Also, I know people say Alienwares are for Gamers or they are overkill...Not for me, From what Im reading they are GREAT workstations too. So, What do you think?

Well gore, if your wiling to spend 3 grand on a new comp, then I would build it myself. Find the best products out there with the best reviews. I would recommend going with a Pentium 4 3 ghz with a 800mhz FSB. If you do go pentium though, I would recommend getting a Motherboard that uses the Intel 875 chip. For a video card I'd with either Geforce FX 5900 or the ATI Radeon 9800. Put a gig of ram in there (PC 3700).

If you are looking going towards a little gaming like UT, then I do think you'd be better off staying with a P4 or AMD 2800+ or more. For a workstatin computer, A celeron would be fine, but if you want more preformance for games then go with P4. I haven't heard much yet about the AMD 64 bit chips so I can't really give you any info. I'll see if I can't find anything on it though and let you know.

Now of course, if you just looking for more of a workstation than a game station then you could get a decent comp for around $800 that will play UT for you but won't give you screaming FPS.

Sure Alienware is a great gameing pc, but I do think it would be a bit on the overkill side using it as a workstation.

/edit

Heres a link to some Athlon 64 compatible M/B's
    http://www.amdmb.com/news-display.php?NewsID=6877

Heres a link to a benchmark on the Athlon 64
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1596/
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1276955,00.asp
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030923/index.htm
    http://www.athlonxp.com/modules.php?..._athlon64.html
    =

Thanks for the reply, I'll be taking everything everyone says into consideration before making a choice. As for vid cards, I like Nvidia. They have drivers and work wel with *NIX and there nice cards I think. The Alienware may be over kill for using word though lol.

But then again I just looked and saw some other things they do for cooling the system; Not only do they have vents on the front, but also they have "AlienIce" witch helps cooling the system down too.

Also they have spaces set aside for 5 fans *faints* I do plan on playijng Doom3 and Unreal tournament on it. And also watching movies and things like that. I duno, I like to plan ahead with these things, what seems like overkill today may come on handy tommorrow

Also, I read that Alienware actually does use top of the line everything when thay make these systems. The HDs and every peice of hardware are top of the line and actually very good. Man these are nice......THEY HAVE A BLUE ONE!!!!!!!!!! *Faints again*

Well If cooling is your thing then go with what you like. I was just thinking that you might want to customize it a little more. But if you do go with Alienware, I believe you will have a very nice system.

Let us know what you go with later.
    =

Yea, I'll reply and Let you guys all know whats up in this thread. Also I'm waiting for some more replys. Opinions are what Im going for and so far so good. Also I think this thread could help someone out whos looking into a new machine and wants an opinion on a processor or something. Hopefully itll keep going into a good long discusson.

I had one of Alienware older cases and it was quite cramped. (They have probably fixed this in later models) I currently have a Chenming case that I am happy with.

If you might be interested in building a system, I have had a great history with this company:

Frozen Cpu
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/index.html

They sell a lot of mod supplies and cases/modded cases if your interested.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I personally don't like Intel chips, not when there's a competing AMD. And as far as alienware, yeah, they are good but WAY overpriced. I'd rather buy it piece by piece and build it myself... to my own whims... Yeah!

Not to mention you get exactly what you want with no bullsh*t. Compaqs suck as far as I'm concerned if the other choice is custom built.

You get to learn about the newer technologies AND keep your hardware choosing skills up to par. Anyway good luck with whatever choice you make.

P.S. HAHA Schwarzenegger is governor of CA. That's great. (screw Davis, that panzie grab-ass!!)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    P.S. HAHA Schwarzenegger is governor of CA. That's great. (screw Davis, that panzie grab-ass!!)
    Not to hyjack the thread or anything, but I am embarrassed to be a Californian today because of this happening.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

LOL, thanks all for the opinions. As far as the cramped case, they have fixed that up alot. I saw one and was blown away, they have a lot of extra room inside the cases now and also extra cooling which I like alot.

Thanks again for all your opinions, I appreciate it!

Thumbs up

I will go with " cheyenne1212 "

it is mush better to biuld a PC... then to get an of the shelf PC...
    since u can get the best of the best for the best price......
    if u want to keep ur pc cool..... do this........

get a used AC... unit..... put it just neer Ur pc...... take off the side panels'
    that is wt my frnd did...... here in lebanon in summer....... it is a constant 35'C so it is hot
    dam it is still hot now ...... ~30

I will say dont get Celeron... if u want to play games .....or movies......
    get a Nvidia GrafiX card ........go for the 8X 128.......
    ram 512.... or 1024.... try speed of 400+
    HDD 3X40 7200 ( if u need alot of space )
    mouse & K/B <normal ps/2 or serial /or USB> the wireless r crap... so it the optical...
    monitor... go with the CRT... traditional....17".... better pic than a Plasma or LCD & mush cheaper...
    as for sound... sony :: old Wooden 15 incherers , and a pair of nice wireless head phones.. for the time when u have guests or... the ppl want to sleep:::