Thread: System32

System32

As of recent every time I boot up my box, as soon as windows turns on my system32 folder pops up and warns me that I should not be trying to change settings. Does anyone know why this might have started to happen? If so, do you know how to stop it from happening? Thanks for your help

AZE

G'day aze, I had a very similar problem a couple of months ago, and it turned
    out to be a trojan on my computer. I would suggest with my limited amount of knowledge
    that you scan your box with updated A/V programs and re-post with the results so others
    here can help you out with your problem. cheers..TidaLphasE23
    You can also get an online scan from housecall here hope this helps.

Banned
    also maybe as tidal said it is a virus or trojan ..worm etc.. try to go to Start-> Run -> type in "msconfig" (without the quotitation marks) and go to Startup and see what programs run at startup if you see any that you dont know deselect them and restart computer (maybe some of them are trying to change some settings at startup )if the problem goes away do a search on the filename you deselected and see if its a worm or something else.... and download the removal tools ..post the results back plz

Ok I finished scanning my box for Trojans. I got the clean bill of health from NAV and The Cleaner pro, as well as the all clear from Spybot. The problem however still persists. I am looking at my list of processes and startup programs but I cannot see anything out of the ordinary (however I am not that great at remember what should and shouldn't be there). If you have any further advice I am all ears! Thx for responding so quickly!

AZE

Try checking in Start Menu->Programs->Startup, is it possible you overlooked something in there?

Is the messeage the usual message Windows gives when viewing the system32 directory, the one with the link to show the files in it, or is it a different message?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Now I'm assuming that your running XP here so go to start--> run--> type msconfig and uncheck "load startup items" then restart and see if it still does it. Its is ok to kill your startup options as windwos does not need those to statup. However, nothing in the system will start up, so you will not hav any AV, Firewall or whatever else loads up. But try that and see if it fixes the problem. If it does then go back and select each one one by one until you find the one that causes the probelm.
    =

Ok, I think I might have found the process responsible for this. This event, I found out happens only on one account. The only startup program difference between this account and the others on this particular pc is a program called /L: ENG. This is on that account but on no others. If anyone knows what this process is responsible for please tell me. As always, thanks for your help

AZE

i had a similar message and found when i went to the windows update site and got the latest patches it sorted t he problem also another good tool for us newbies is system restore

anyways laters m8

waterboy
    a man with hole in his pocket feels cocky all day