Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux or Windows?

Question Linux or Windows?

I have always wondered about this question so I thought this would be the best place to ask it.

I am getting second computer in a week or so just for kicks. Its an old PC my neighbor is getting rid of. It has a pentium 2 processor and just some horrible stats. So I was thinking of putting Linux on it. But is Linux really better than Windows?

This may sound pretty lame but I have never used Linux before so I dont know. I mean if Linux is free and better then why do ppl buy Windows for lots of money? Can someone give me some advice on which OS to put on my new PC when I get it?

Thanks,
    Junk

It depends what you want to do with it, and how much effort you want to put in.

Windows is easier to pick up, because most people already use it, and more things are GUI'd by default, whereas although there is a huge amount of support available on the web for Linux, you have to put the effort in to find it.

Another thing you need to think about is the availability of applications. Although most software is free for Linux, it is not always as good as that which is written for Windows. However Windows software is quicker to be exploited, because more people have it.

If you have the patience and desire to explore then use Linux. It would be something new for you, and a good learning opportunity. I'm not going to say which is better, because they both have their good and bad points.

Oh and most home users will buy M$ products because that's all they know of.

Just my $0.02
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

Well there are number of reasons for that most people use windows cause its easy to install. Another reason can be people don't trust LINUX, i mean since its open source since windows is from Microsoft and most people trust Microsoft here (what a pitty, with so much leak wholes and other flaws).
    But there is whole bunch of LINUX users, its good, excellent for networkin, security wise cool.
    Life is like an ice cream enjoy before it melts.

BIOS Bomber
    People buy Windows because there forced too. If stores started selling computers with BSD and other *NIX distros I bet more people would actually try it instead of Windows. Another way they win is because your taught Windows at school. could you list the exact specs for this pc your getting?

a pentium 200 is just fine for linux as most distros run fine on a 486. theres no correct answer to is linux better though. it all depends what you wanna do. but a p200 is going to be slow as all hell on Windows so you might as well download an iso for linux and install it.
    if youv never used it before you should try either SuSE or mandrake linux. they are the easiest in my opinion.

if you do a search on this site this topic has been covered about 500 times. do some searching, go too http://www.linuxiso.org , and read up.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Banned
    If you are doing a little experimenting you may as well try Linux, its not permanant, you can always switch back, albeit with a little hassle, If you a home user who aint too into the whole puter scene Windows will serve the purpose. I use Windows, probably always will, it just suits me, so I guess its one way of finding out what suits you to give it a 'bash'

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    mandrake> you can buy a Dell with redhat, hp with hpux, compaq with ... I don't remember what version they are running... etc. Just thought I would mention that.

To answer the original question... Linux is for educational purposes mostly. If you want to actually learn lots of new things, toss linux on the second machine and play with it. If you want something you are already comfortable with, then stick with windows.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

BIOS Bomber
    I know they do, I shouldv worded that different but oh well. what i was getting at was you cant walk into a best buy stopre or kmart and buy a pc with *nix on it already. and if you can they need to here. thanks though, you made me feel dumb *runs off crying* souleman is mean!

just kidding by the way.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

In my opinion LINUX is more stable, secure, and easy to catch onto and I am running RedHat Linux 8 and think it is brill I have even got my dad using it and he knows virtually nothing about computer and he likes it better than XP. There is something for Linux called WINE it is a windows emulator and will run alot of windows prog's.

I say Linux as it is a second pc it is certainly worth a try, don't knock it till you've tried it.

P.S. how big is the HD???
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

i agree with c0bra. the linux process of development allows for the creation of a more secure OS. the structure of the OS itself is much better as well as far as security goes-- the underlying kernel being protected from processes running on the top.
    i'm a linux newbie if anything, but i've found that any *nix (*bsd, linux distros) that i've played with has never crashed. no my time using these OS's is significantly less then my time on a win boxes, but you can get my point.
    sadly, linux support for games is not where we'd all like it to be with wine being your only real choice for running games that were developed for windows. otherwise, i would have mad the switch about a year ago.
    bottom line, if you don't like games, don't bother with windows learn something good the first time around

BIOS Bomber
    You sig thief!!!!!!!!