Thread: 486 router bandwidth limiting

486 router bandwidth limiting

Hiya,

Im currently sharing my internet access with 4 other people, via a switch that goes to a ethernet modem, this works great. (well good enough for the non geeks)

Basically I want to chuck a 486 in between the modem and the switch as a hardware firewall, Im planning on doing this with coyote (i think anyway)

I live with someone thats obsessed with his multimedia (way isnt text based enough for people! lynx all the way (except here - stupid library)) and I was woundering how I can set it up so that the 486 divides the bandwidth up fairly??

cheers

i2c

str34m3r
    The simple answer is that if you're using lynx to surf the web, I don't think you're going to have any issues getting the bandwith you need - even without dividing the bandwidth.

The slightly more complicated answer is to look at the iproute2 package. The iproute2 package has several networking functions that may assist you in dividing up traffic fairly.

Edit: I did a little additional looking and found an entire howto on what you're trying to do. The squid section may not be useful to you, but the section on cbq and iproute2 looks promising:

http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Band...WTO/index.html

This advanced routing howto looks promising too:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/

If you prefer a BSD variant, there's a package called throttled that dies what you want.

Even if you're using lynx to surf the web, you may have problems if the other people in your house want to upload stuff over an asymmetric connection (ADSL, cable). The problem is that the upload bandwidth is so flooded that the ack packets can't get through, which means that your download speeds drop to nearly nothing. I know that throttled, at least, prioritizes ack packets so that you don't have this problem.

Cheers,

Ive got BSD disc's sculling around here somewhere so might give that a try, also give str34m3r ideas a try to.

I dont only use lynx to surf the web, i only do that on my linux box, use mozilla the rest of the time and tend to download Linux distros and stuff so kinda wanna make the connection speed fair for everyone,

thanks again

i2c

This doesn't do exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps it can be modified to suit your needs. I wrote it a while back, and I suspect some of the links are dead now.....

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234382
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!