Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which distro of linux

Well for the newbie you can try mandrake or red hat. However, for the power user I would recommend slackware, or my friends would recommend gentoo or debian. I have not tried debian or gentoo however I have heard good things. Slackware is my favorite becasue it is not bloated with extra crap, does not use rpm, it is powerful and secure, and it is very unix like. Slackware is also one of the oldest linux distros out there, its tried and true, it kicks royal ass!
    support your favorites, **** the masses.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    People would think i wasn't Shrekkie if I wouldn't suggest Gentoo here...

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Try RedHat. Nowadays linux is not as hard to learn as it seems. Just install and learn, get some books at the library or local book store. Try some googlin' on the net and you'll find lots of tuts and references. Have fun.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

Kwiep
    one of these (most popular distro's)
    http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

or one of the other zillion
    http://www.distrowatch.com/
    Double Dutch

Suse 9 has treated me well. It's the first time that I've ever bothered to use Linux for anything other than web browsing. I configured Squid with it. Took six hours, but very easy. (BTW, I wrote a really nice tutorial on it and no one bothered to comment-- ungrateful!!!! just kidding )
    Linux is not hard to learn. That is a myth, plain and simple. The truth about Linux is that it is much more fun to work with. jim459 is dead right, though. If you have no security background, forget about securing the OS until you know enough about it. I would even go so far as to suggest using Windoze to learn the basics of networking, etc.
    Just my two cents.

I used to say Red Hat, but the line is over. RH9 is the last of it's kind. My best advice on the distro would have to be, find one that many people you know use. There is no more secure distro. Security comes from the users and Administrator. Proper use of services and patches leads to a secure box. There is also no such thing as an un-hackable box. When choosing a distro, it is important to find one that friends also use, that way you have some local support. I'm using RH9 right now, but will soon switch to either SuSE or Slackware soon.

BTW, I hear Red Hat is stopping all support for RH9 around July. After that they are only doing Enterprise Linux.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I'm actually useing 3 different Linux systems. I have RH9, KNOPPIX 3.3, and yellow dog. I'm enjoying yellowdog the most. i have had no problems with it yet. Knoppix is also quite fun. Its a bootable OS that can be ran right off the disk w/o installation.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

spools, i bought yellow dog linux a while back (version 2.2) for my little clamshell iBook and i had a horrible experience installing it. I think my hard drive (i think it was 3 gig ) was way to small for both linux and mac os 9. I cant even install mac os X on the computer. Anyways, the moral to my story is before you buy or install something, make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements. I want to get red hat 9 for my PC, but i dont want to clear my hd and i want to keep everything on my hard drive the same. I have a 120 gig hard drive and i am using about 70 gigs already, is there a way i can set aside a certain amount of disk space for an installation of RH9 and not worry about loosing my current files? kinda newbie question...
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

The first Linux I ever installed was Slackware. I have used Redhat now for years and stick with it because it is familiar territory.

It will become a matter of personal choice in the end. The advice to try a couple different distributions is great advice.

No matter which you choose, I would recommend hanghing out on the command line far more than a GUI if you are serious about learning Linux.

Good luck to you ....

.: Aftiel

Originally posted here by Aftiel
    The first Linux I ever installed was Slackware. I have used Redhat now for years and stick with it because it is familiar territory.

It will become a matter of personal choice in the end.

.: Aftiel
    i agree, choosing a linux distro is all up to personal opinion, they all run pretty much in the same manner, aside from the packages that come with whatever distro you happen to be buying, but they are all essentially the same