Thread: Sending Mail with JavaScript

Sending Mail with JavaScript

I am trying to send mail with Javascript from my website. Here is a general template:
    Code:
    <html>
    <head><title>My Comments Page</title></head>
    <body>
    Submit any comments you would like to me.
    <input type=text name="name">

<input type=text name="message">

<input type=button name="sendmail" value="Send It" onClick="">
    </body>
    </html>
    So it looks like that, but I want it to send the information on the page to me automatically when they click submit; not popup like an Outlook or Netscape email program. This way it is clean and easier to use. Anyway, I'm not sure how to do it. So far the only thing I have found is like this:
    Code:
    functionsendmail()
    {
    document.emailForm.action='mailto:' + '<myemailaddy>' + '?SUBJECT=' + 'Comment';
    document.emailForm.value=name.value + ' ' + comment.value;
    }
    Problem is it pops up an external client, or does not work at all.

I want it to send the information on the page to me automatically when they click submit; not popup like an Outlook or Netscape email program.
    JavaScript can't send e-mail the way you want it to . It's a client side language. Look into using a server side language. PHP and ASP are really popular and I'm sure you can find resources on the net that can show you since it's not that complicated. JavaScript is mainly used for validation when dealing with server side languages so it's still going to be a good tool for you.

Ok, thanks. Not my server though. It's a geocities site.

I recently finished that book by Ankit Fadia, "The Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking" and it had a mailbomber for javascript. I never tried it but I assumed it worked. I will go make a hotmail account and see if it works. If it does I will post how it does. I'm sure someone else around here has the book too, so someone else might be able to answer about the mailbomber too, I dont know...

Acturally, you can do an e-mail with geocities. Geocities has an add-on for your website that will take info from a form and e-mail it to your Yahoo! account.

Check this link out for more information:
    http://geocities.yahoo.com/v/ao/for.html

Also, if that doesn't bring you to it, go to Geocities, logon. Then on the main geocities page find the Add-Ons link in the center of the page. It is hard to see. Then it is on the left side - Communications > Email forms. There is also a lot of other stuff to play with. Just read the Yahoo! faq on it or whatnot, and you shouldn't have any problems. I know someone who did this for their Geocities site in the past, so I know it works. If you have any more problems that you can't find on the Geocities FAQ, etc., feel free to ask here and I'll try to answer it for you. Good luck and have fun!

-Tim_axe

Tripod (www.tripod.com) allows you to upload your own Perl scripts once you get an account. I'm not sure if they impose any restrictions, but from what I can tell they allow you to create a script to send mail. This has an obvious advantage to packaged components included in other free web site hosting sites: You will know exactly how it works and can improve on it later. Perl is easy to learn (at least I thought it was) and can be used for a variety of applications. Hope this helps!