Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can government force you to reveal the crypto key

can government force you to reveal the crypto key

can they???

if they can't crack it can they force...
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

They'll crack it.

Think about it, They have the people from MIT, and all the other top universities working for them if they really need something. There is no stopping them.
    =

And yes, they can force you to give it up or be arrested.. its through a subpeona (sp?)..
    [pong][shadow]Why won\'t anyone give me greenies???[/shadow] [/pong]

i don't believe they can crack everything ... why would they need subpeona's then??

what if i say i don't remmember it...?
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Under Patriot Act, they can site that you're a threat to national security or something along that line and you'll be arrested.. and they need a subpeona to get any information from you....
    [pong][shadow]Why won\'t anyone give me greenies???[/shadow] [/pong]

They can't crack everything. Even with alot of resources it's on chance, but eventually if enough time goes by they will crack it. I am talking about some hard core encryption not a password protected zip. That is also why they feel the need to introduce bills that establish key authorities. What they do is more like what hackers do: social engineer and attempt to get the key phrase. Chances are, if you are a target they will spy the phrase via hidden camera or keylog. It just depends, I have been involved in several prosecution cases...
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by :-\
    And yes, they can force you to give it up or be arrested.. its through a subpeona (sp?)..
    You will be probed!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

See attached:

Cheers:
    DjM

if the Gov. creates "key vaults" ... how are they planning to force ppl to give them keys... are they planning on cutting off the internet access to all the non - US crypto software ... like, road blocks on the Intenet... i'm really feel they are trying to fight something they can't win...

what happens if i say that i forgot the key because it's too long ... or somthing like that... can they do anything or do they have to release me... i mean if they have to evidence they can't hold me ... we don't live in Beirut, do we?

The government can really do whatever they want. If you are encoding something that they want, need, or don't want you to have, they have a billion + dollars to get it from you. And thanks to 9/11, they can claim your resistance to terrorist activites and well, you will give it up.

Is this just a hypothetical situation?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-