Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: can government force you to reveal the crypto key

they can force u & ur compu to reveal all the things
    compu forensics r there 4 this purpose only
    Sometimes realitys are dreams we cannot live in.... (as my bst fren says) [/shadow]

If i am not mistaken the 5th amendment prevents you from having to "willfully" give them the key.........
    But i suppose they could beat your ass into telling them.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

yeah. bassicly if the government wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it, they have infinite resources to draw from.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

If You really want to test the goverments cracking power I suggest we try this first get a high powered system that doesnt use virtual memory then isolate it block out all van eck phreaking with tempest screening then get a non-linear RNG for key generation then build 2 16384 bit RSA keys using MIRCAL for the precision maths a set of AES keys and a Triple DES key set the say a shyfile key as well along with A DSS for good measure use the RNG to make the keys and not save them so you dont know them and cross encypt a file of a reasonable size then make your own cipher up and encrypt it with that next send it to a few hundred people over a link monitered by Echelon (satalite links are best for this) and wait for them to start the analysis next step is obliterating the system that made it expose the HD to a storm of magnetic inteference after zeroing it then shatter crush and finaly melt it into a pile of metal and glass then smash the rest of the machine so there are no records or evidence of the keys and you dont know them so they have to crack it and id like to see how long that would take.

The bottom line is that Government has become too powerful, and it's our fault regardless of what country in which we live. We elect the people and then forget about them. What's needed is to, occasionally, put pressure on them in the form of letters, emails, phone calls and VOTES, to remind them who they work for. It does work. They want those cushy jobs with those great benefits and, if they think they might lose that job, you'd be surprised how fast they come around.

As far as encryption, it isn't necessary. Whether you're a terrorist or a drug runner, I think the messages needed to do what they plan to do are all planned ahead of time. You need to pick up a load or blow up a building a simple everyday phrase planted in an email is all that's required. Encryption alerts Government, and the people Government is after know it, and so does the Govt.

In the UK we have the RIP Bill and that empowers the police to imprison without trial and without representation anybody who willfully witholds an encryption key.

It was a hastily scrambled through law that took no account of messages sent to recipients encrypted who were not in possession of the decryption keys.

People suggested sending such files and messages through to the idiot minister who thought this stupid legislation up in the first place and then reporting him to the police for possessing encrypted files for which he would refuse to give up the key (Because surprise surprise he never had the key in the first place ).

In the UK yes they can lock you up without trial and without legal representation if you refuse to hand them a decryption key for as long as you refuse to hand over the key for an encrypted file on your hard drive but not sure if the US Government has taken the same underhanded step yet.
    First we existed merely as potential and then with the big bang our atoms were initially formed, in the hearts of stars our atoms were forged and it will be to the stars we will eventually return... Together!!!

To my knowledge, the US Govt hasn't gone as far as in they have in the UK. I don't see how they could in this country, but I never believed something like the so called Patriot Act would ever fly here, either. Maybe those militia guys who were all over the place here in the US of A a few years ago weren't so far wrong after all.

Hello Guys

Let me throw some light on this subject here with some information dated 2001. I am a security information freak... LOL

"Encryption has already thwarted several criminal investigations. For example, in the case of famed cracker Kevin Mitnick, the prosecution had a problem: Mitnick encrypted much of his personal data. As reported by David Thomas from Online Journalism:

The encrypted data still posed a problem for the court. As it stands, government officials are holding the encrypted files and have no idea of their contents. The defense claims that information in those files may prove exculpatory, but revealing their contents to the government would violate Mitnick's Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination. Further, prosecutors have indicated that they will not be using the encrypted files against Mitnick, but they refuse to return the evidence because they do not know what information the files hold. Ultimately, the court sided with the prosecution. Judge Pfaelzer described Mitnick as "tremendously clever to put everyone in this position" but indicated that "as long as he (Mitnick) has the keys in is pocket, the court is going to do nothing about it."

Well guys there you have it. And it is really nothing to be amazed about. Being an ex-hacker myself! They live by a "Code of Ethics" I will list them below:

* Encrypt your entire hard drive
    * Hide your files in a very safe place
    * Don't tell anyone that you don't know very well about your hacking. Good hackers never reveal specific details to anyone about their current projects. They give only very vague hints of what they are doing.
    * Don't openly give out your real name or address
    * Don't join any major hacking groups, be an individual
    * Don't hack government computers, ESPECIALLY YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT! Foreign computers can sometimes be phun, but don't say I didn't warn you
    * Make sure you don't leave any evidence that you have been in a sytem, or any evidence of who it was
    * Use your brain

P.S. I have been asked a few times, through email, What work have I done for the government? Well it wasn't directly with the government, I was what you might call a "hacker profiler" consultant for a company call TruSecure that does contract work for the government.
    PCTech-Help - FREE computer help and ALL tutorials are VIDEO TUTORIALS. No hand written tutorials here.

For those Americans who are afriad of NSA....get over it, they are not snooping on you, they have other 3 letter government agencies to that type of stuff...Those are the ones to be afriad of!