Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MCP, Linux+ or Cisco CCNA?

Banned
    Its been forever since ive posted but i figured what the hell why not give the lil fella some advice...

I am currently inrolled in the CCNA classes, the new version of the course v3.0 is NOT a peice of cake, its a tough class, they raised the bar quite a bit, but it also teaches you A LOT more then you really need to know, now some might say thats a good thing. They really go in depth into the different layers of the OSI and TCP/IP model, they study the actual hardware and physics of how it all works, and they also go in depth more into how to run a more reliable network.... i reccomend this class over a microsoft class ANY day! MS you can learn on your own, alot of the things tought in this class is more difficult to study by yourself.

As far as Linux certs go, there arent too many of them out, and not too many are looking for them either.... linux is the type of thing that its either you know your ****, or you just dont qualify, i think picking up a good linux manual and reading that would be equally as good as getting your cert, start up your own server w. a shitty PII box and watch how things work and how they break.

good luck to ya

It's a gas!
    Thanks for coming out of retirement to post Dome, im flattered

I know my stuff when it comes to Linux, i have a small network set up at home which i mess about with, but i just thought a cert would be good for the resume...

The MCP and CCNA are online courses, so theres gonna be no classes, as far as i know.
    So would you still recommend the CCNA?

Banned
    sorry for the late reply, dont check this site too often,

yes i definately reccomend CCNA, its a good class and covors almost everything you need to know as far as networking goes, once you got CCNA you can basically adapt yourself to any type of router/switch, and since in CCNA1 they teach you the basics of networking the operating system your working with isnt going to make much of a difference.

Like i said i am in the middle of the CCNA track, but i have to warn you, it WILL be hard online, you dont have any of those expensive routers to do the labs with, and the labs help ALOT, you actually get to see how everything works and what kind of stupid mistakes you sometimes make.

But didnt you say it was free? then i would go for it anyway even though its online, your going to learn alot.

cheers-

Dome/Liran