Thread: slackware or Debian which is better for learning

slackware or Debian which is better for learning

slackware or Debian which is better for learning

Learning what? Linux? Any distro is good for learning. When it comes down to it, Linux is Linux no matter what type of GNU its wrapped up in. Your best bet would be to pick up a few books about Linux in general. You can search the forums here for countless posts about various distros.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

which one if i work with for about 3 months will get the most out of, i think redhat is too much gui and easy.
    which is harder to work with slackware or debian?? and why??

Neither. If your trying to learn by hardest to use, NO Linux is hard to use. They all use the same commands to work the system and they all can use X usually. If you want to try harder than redhat you might as well go for NetBSD.

Any Linux is good for learning...or you might want to to try gentoo linux www.gentoo.org . You can get your hands dirty with it and it's been 4 days I've been playing around on gentoo linux using kernel 2.6 and I love it..kernel compiling is clean,fast. and everything on my laptop works beautifully.

Cheers

annya
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

My personals favorites are Suse, Gentoo and Slackware. If i were to pick from these 3 my first pick would be SUSE , but if i were so chosse from debian and Slackware i would pick SUSE LOL j/k i Would chosse Slackware

I personeally love debian because of the awsome update feature (apt-get) you just type a few things and boom your computers updated. I have tried redhat, freebsd, netbsd, suse, knoppix, and several others in all about burned cd's worlth but hey it was worth it. If you want debian and are scared of the installer install libranet . Its debian based infact it is almost debian with a easier installer. It updates from debians ftp servers so theres no problem.
    Suse on the otherhand i bought and if your a real noobie i would recommend doing that because there support is great although they all have german accents in the tech department on account of the fact that it is a german company.
    If you want debian theirs absoulutly no reason why you should go through the install of debian when you can install it with Libranet

Good luck though and hope you don't go through as many cd's as me

Kwiep
    All linux distro's are usually basically the same (kernel, gnu tools, etc) if you install gentoo (my favorite) you'll have a great linux install and, especially when you do a stage one installation, a system that fits your needs. If you read the manuals and guides on the gentoo website nothing can go wrong. The portage system, one of the big pro's (or cons) of BSDs, makes it real easy to stay up to date and quickly install and compile the stuff you need.
    If you're talking about "learning" linux though, I think you're better of without the emerge system. You should pick the barebones, almost unixish imago of slackware. Debian has apt-get wich is, to say it real short and easy (people are going to kill me for this), similar to emerge. With any distro you'd be fine and apt-get (debian) and emerge (gentoo) are deffinatly not a reason not to pick them, but they have the tools to make life easier (weird sentence ). That's great, but if you say you want to learn linux you're probably looking for the less-easy and old fashioned way, make, make install etc.
    In your case I'd pick slackware (gentoo is not an option you said) because of "details". Slackware is a distro that plays the game for pretty some time already, it has got this "pure-linux" image, the setup and installation is easy and neat on default... etc...

I really feel like I just posted a worthless piece of crap post
    Double Dutch

thanks all, and btw there is not worthless post on this site, every post is infomative, i will continue using slack and will install debian on another computer and gentoo after that, thanks.

I'm going to make a few recommendations for you. You seem to want to learn UNIX in general, so I'll make a list for you to get you started. These may not be easy to aquire but in MY opinion, they are the best.

My fav *NIX systems: Solaris, AIX, Free BSD, OpenBSD, SuSE Linux (One of the best OSs in the world) Trusted Solaris, and because you could install it on a cutip: NetBSD.