Thread: Help Me: Explorer.exe Illegal Operation

Help Me: Explorer.exe Illegal Operation

On my mom's comp everytime she tries to open Internet Explorer, It Has an illegal operation error for Explorer.exe

I was wondering what to do about this?
    She can't get on the net to do a virus scan because of that illegal operation and even know McAfee sux its all she gots and it deleted 16 infected files..

Does she have to reformat or are there better alternatives?

What OS is your mother running? If it is Windows you can repair it with the OS disc. You can get some freeware AV software if you feel as though McAfee is not doing the job. I use AVG with my Windows systems and it has not let me down.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Well go to your Add/Remove programs properties box .Then next select Internet Explorer.
    Then you should see three options if I am correct ...
    1]Add a component
    2]Repair Internet Explorer
    3]Restore The previous Windows Configuration
    Select the second option ... What it will do is try and fix anything that might be wrong with your Internet Explorer.
    Hope that helps ...
    Do you know what the error is... If you could write it down it would kinda help ...

As for Antivirus software AVG is good.. I would also recommend that once you have fixed the problem that you install Ad-aware ... You can get the free version from their site here's the link
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    Hope that helps...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

And/Or.....If she has Windows ME or XP, do a system restore to a previous date. One that you know is a good one.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Well go to your Add/Remove programs properties box .Then next select Internet Explorer.
    Then you should see three options if I am correct ...
    1]Add a component
    2]Repair Internet Explorer
    3]Restore The previous Windows Configuration
    Select the second option ... What it will do is try and fix anything that might be wrong with your Internet Explorer.
    Hope that helps ...
    Do you know what the error is... If you could write it down it would kinda help ...
    Agent_Steal this doesn't work with all windows OSs but I guess it's a good start for the little info given.

Internet explorer can be a pain at times. But this could also be caused by an update gone bad. If it's an update that caused this just get the update from some other source and install it that may solve the problem.

With a little more info we might be able to give you a more direct answer.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Yeah I know that the info wasn't the best to give out.. But with so little info to go on their's nothing much that I could have suggested ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

reistall explorer.If you got an older version, update it.

Dr_Evil

Hi

She can't get on the net to do a virus scan because of that illegal operation and even know McAfee sux its all she gots and it deleted 16 infected files ..

Do not let the AV delete files, "clean" or "quarantine" (at least then you know what you are missing?) EDIT : I think that the 16 deleted files might be the cause of the problem?

I think that re-installation of IE is not a bad place to start. Or go back to a recovery point if you have one.

Check the AV...............sounds like it is configured "as it came out of the box".........make sure that you have heuristics on and scan all files set to "yes" (checked). You do not say which version of McAfee so I cannot advise better than that.

Update your AV and run it in safe mode. Also update Your windows.

Good luck

Putting Adware in now will not solve your problem, but if all else failes, do a complete reinstall of your system. This will give you a clean start. Put your AV in then an Adware program. But remember to back-up your other progrms that you don't have the disc for. Also before I forget, get a firewall. When you are finished with all that, come back and someone can help you more. But if you got files missing, a clean reinstall would be best.

Freddy
    cybnut