Thread: Samba / Windows XP file shares

Samba / Windows XP file shares

Hi all,

I have been having some trouble with the network at work for a while now, just niggling little things. Guess using Samba 2.2.x with windows was never going tobe easy a the best of times. Anyway, lt me try to explain the problem (or at least the current one)

As I already mentioned we have a Samba 2.2.x (7 possibly I think, I mostly do the windows stuff ) . It is running as the sole PDC on the network. The clients on the network consist of Windows 98, 2000 and XP machines. A simple logon script maps network network drives to the machine when they logon (a .bat file using net use commands I believe). OK now for the strangeness, when the 98 machines logon they name their home directory as 'homes on servername' , the 2000 boxes as 'username on servername' and the XP boxes as '%username% on main linux server servername'. There is an alias on the Linux box that basically makes \\servername\username , map to exactly the same place as \\servername\homes. The powers that be decided that all the machines should display the names the same, so I changed them, in windows explorer (on an xp or 2000 machine), this seemed to affect all users, which was nice. However, the change to the home directory name only affected me, and there seems to be nothing I can do to get it back the way it was. Even bulding new Windows machines, and setting them to only use local profiles results in the share name still being 'homes on %servername%' rather than '%username% on %servername%'. I know you can edit this in the registry to change how it is displayed but thats not really the best option. Also I am just curious to find out where windows is actually getting this data and if Samba is hiding it away anywhere. Any help greatfully recieved, this is giving me a headache.

I have totally deleted my roaming profile now, just in case it was getting it from that (even though, I was telling it not too) but still no luck. Surely the info must be coming from the Samba somewhere, I know Microsoft are good at hiding files, but I don't think even they could hide from from a BCWIPE and Ghosting

I'm Not positive...but check the smb.conf file....
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey