Thread: WinXP Owners Name change?

WinXP Owners Name change?

Hey guys,
    I have a system that was built for a customer and they spelled his name wrong when they put it in at setup. It is winXp Pro. I contacted the people who built it and they said the only way was to reinstall, what a pain. I poked around online but all I found was tweak prog saying they would change it if you bought them. But I am not interested in buying a prog just for that. Does anyone know how to do it. Or a free utility I could use. I have been poking around in the registry but haven’t found anything yet.

Thanks for you time,
    Ruffasdagut

you can tweak the registry. I would back up the registry first before you make any changes. You can put the computer out of commision if you make a wrong change in the registry. Here's the easiest way i found. right click on My computer, select properties and look what name its registered to. Now open regedit and press f3 and enter the name in exactly how its spelled. You should see several locations with the name pop up. Just right click the file and select Modify.

Critter
    http://www.chrisstokes.com

Thanks

Thanks,
    I will give that a try tomarrow
    Thanks again,
    Ruffasdagut

You can do all that, AND MORE! with X-teq's X-Setup.

I use it on all my personal systems... its great.

And... no, I don't work for them.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    You can do all that, AND MORE! with X-teq's X-Setup.

I use it on all my personal systems... its great.

And... no, I don't work for them.

Preach on my brother....XSetup is installed on every system I build. Most of the time it is hidden as it can be dangerous in the hands of the uneducated, but for power users it IS THE FUNK!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

never heard of x-tegs xsetup. I'll have to check it out. Personal, whatever works easiest for you and works the best is the one to go with. adjusting the registery may not always be the best thing to do. what else can this xsetup do?

Critter
    http://www.chrisstokes.com

what else can this xsetup do?
    Pretty much anything that winguides has and entry for or any useful .reg hack.
    You can even create your own.

It is just a quick way to edit the registry and even change it back.

Though, I do recommend that you backup your .reg and read the docs first.

There is an update feature too, so you can update to the newest plugins, and upload your own for others to use.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ok this is very simple to do. . . I've done it a million times

Click start then run
    type regedit in the run box
    click edit then find
    type in the incorrect name that you entered.
    Every time it comes up in the registry change it to what it is supposed to be and thats it.
    Nice and simple.