Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyware - A little bit of info

Spyware - A little bit of info

OKay i would first like to start out stating that i feel that spyware is wrong no matter what the case. When i say spyware i mean Keyloggers an so fourth that are placed on a computer to log a students, childs, or employee's keystrokes.

Well first i would like to say that if your going to install one you MUST remember to place them in stealth mode. With programs such a "SpectorPro" a little red dot will show up in you IconTray when its not in stealth. Also remember to password protect them

Also if you have a program such as GoBack by Roxio remember to clear the GoBack history after installing the program. Note: If you do not do so a user will be able to do the GoBack function and revery that state of your computer back to before the installation on the SpyWare. This is only possible if the password protection for GoBack is not enabeled of the user knows the pass. I would recommend setting a password.

REASON FOR POST

My father recently installed Spector Pro on my computer and that made me a little mad. I know it is possible to delete manually in safe mode but i decided to take the easy way out. i did a GoBack on my computer back to before the program was installed. Created a VB program that puts a red dot in the IconTray and when you click on the red dot it propmts you for a pass (just like spector). When he puts in a password and presses "ok" it gives him an error saying "Invalid Password!".

This is in no way bad what i did. It was my computer that i bought with my own money. He put that on MY computer and i have the right to remove it.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

OKay i would first like to start out stating that i feel that spyware is wrong no matter what the case. When i say spyware i mean Keyloggers an so fourth that are placed on a computer to log a students, childs, or employee's keystrokes.
    Ok first you said childs keystrokes. So you are not for Investigating child predators online conversations? (via carnivore or keylogger) Dont forget about terrorist investigations either.

Old Fart
    Sorry spools, but I have to disagree with you on this one. If you are working in a corporate environment, then you are working on a machine that YOUR EMPLOYER owns...not you. Said employer also owns you (in a way) during your assigned work hours...you are there to be a productive empoyee and assist in improving the company's bottom line. If you are spending an inordinate amount of time playing "fantasy football" at espn.com, chatting with your buddies about what's up for the weekend, emailing your girlfriend or spouse (or both in some cases) then you are involved in a form of theft. Actually, it could be argued that you are "double-dipping" as you are stealing a human resource (the time you spend surfing, using IM or personal email) AS WELL AS IT resources (the company owned computer and associated bandwidth). The company has a right to monitor for and guard against theft, plain and simple.

Now turning our attention to a child (as referenced above) who owns his own computer yet (apparently) lives at home. The first thing I would point out is that the parents can (and usually will) be held legally liable for the actions of their child which gives them an inherent RIGHT to know what said child is "up to". Not to mention that the parents are probably paying for the internet access, as well as supplying the electricity that runs the computer and the roof that protects it from the elements. In short, you only get that guarantee of privacy when you are TOTALLY SELF SUPPORTIVE and out on your own.

I don't know the specifics of the case, but I have no doubt that if the parents of the Columbine shooters had been paying closer attention to their childrens actions (be them online or not) that those deaths might have been prevented. Yeah...you read it right...a keylogger just MIGHT have saved lives in that case.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Okay, i can understand in a corporate stiuation but when its a personal computer, thats a different story. I feel that if its your computer and you paid for it then there is no reason for aonther person to place htat program on it.

Old Fart
    I see your point...but if you are using it to plan an illegal activity that your parents can be held liable for in a court of law then THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW. Subsequently, given that they SUPPORT you and are RESPONSIBLE for your actions, they have the right to monitor your actions unless you enjoy "emancipated minor" status that is recognized by a court of law...in which case you probably aren't living with them and the monitoring ceases to be an issue.
    Al

allenb1963 - Thanks for point that out, i never thought of it that way.

/|Glacier|\ - as for child predator, you shouldn't need a key logger. If you keeptrack of your kids and what they do online there should be no need for it. Anyways you should make it so that a child wouldn't even be able to talk to a "predator" in the first place. A program such as Net-Nanny would do the trick.

What does the expression "parenting" mean?................putting spyware on your childrens' computers?..................if they commit a crime you are too late anyway?

Might I suggest that the computer is in your living area, and turn the bloody TV off whilst the children are using it?.............If you had been paying attention to the TV, you wouldn't have any children, would you?

Trust is two way..........I guess one way has already been compromised here?

Sounds more like smartass daddy to me.............only not as smart as he would like to think?

Hey, I believe in responsibility and in respect, but respect is a mutual thing born out of trust?

There is something "not quite right" here?.............If my child needed a computer, I would get him/her one...........if I could not afford it................how could they?............weird?

Maybe mummy might be using the computer to contact her lovers?

I love a good conspiracy

Cheers

Old Fart
    nihil....got any kids of your own/?
    Al

parent's house, parent's rules. that's just the way **** works, like allen says when you are LEGELLY responsible for yourself, then complain. Not that I wouldn't be upset about it... but that's growin' up.

I'm not going to go too far into it, as both sides have valid points, but parents shouldn't have to install keyloggers, raise your kid for the love of christ --- if the kid gets a piece of regular postal mail addressed to him, guess what...the parent isn't legally allowed to open it. All of a sudden you can read your kid's email though? Chat sessions? I don't think so...if you're down to having to do that...you have failed somewhere along the lines as a parent. Educate your child, trust your child, and there will be no need to spy on your child.