Thread: cisco router question

cisco router question

will the same ISO for a cisco 802 work for a 831?

okay this is my problem... i've got a cisco 831 router that will not boot from falsh the nessage i get is

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

or

boot: cannot load "flash"

okay when i try to view the flash contents i get a message that is like this

rommon 5 > dir
    usage: dir <device>
    rommon 6 > dir flash
    bad device name
    rommon 7 > dir "flash"
    bad device name
    rommon 8 > dev
    Devices in device table:
    id name
    flash: flash

it will only load in rom monitor and i cant seem to get out of it no matter what i try... any suggestions or maybe even any copies of an new ISO would be appresicated...
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Senior since the 3 dot era
    It seems you deleted or corrupted your flash... Load a copy of your flash into the router. if you have a cisco support contract you can get the cisco IOS on cd, or from the online library if you have 'smartnet'.

perhaps this is a way to get a cisco IOS:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1838/solution/

Possible syntax error

If this router is anything like the 1700's I am currently working with in my CISCO class, you may have used the wrong command to view the flash contents. AFAIK the command should be "dir flash:" (sans quotes)

black_coder: You would be correct. He was using the wrong syntax.

AFAIK, you have to use an IOS that is compatible with the 831. I didn't see this a while back... the thread is rather dated now. I have an 831 and the latest IOS. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to get your router back up.

Its not too difficult. You just have to setup a tftp server and put the image on the tftp server and set the correct parameters in ROMMON. you can also use x/y modem... but it takes FOREVER! tftp is def. the way to go.

Oh... in order to get tftp working correctly on my 831 in ROMMON, I had to upgrade ROMMON first. Otherwise, the checksum on the tftp was correct, but it corrupted the image while writing it to flash. I posted about this a couple of weeks ago.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you have a TFTP server available

Connect to the router via the consol.

ALSO connect to the router via ethernet

Now the tricky part is to get a copy of the IOS from one of the other
    routers to the PC..

Set up a tftp server on the PC

connect to a working router and copy the IOS from FLASH to the tftp
    server

On the dead router.. type the following: (IP addresses should be changed
    to protect innocent routers and subnets - take the ip address' from the
    one that is being used as the tftp server - in this case it was 192.5.5.2
    - you could also just plug the routers eth into another routers eth).

rommon 1 &gt; IP_ADDRESS=192.5.5.1

rommon 3 &gt; IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

rommon 4 &gt; DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.5.5.2

rommon 5 &gt; TFTP_SERVER=192.5.5.2

rommon 6 &gt; TFTP_FILE=c1700-y-mz.122-4.T3.bin

rommon 7 &gt; TFTP_VERBOSE=2

rommon 8 &gt; tftpdnln

Now you type:

confeg

go through the options, and set up the basic config

confeg 0x2101 (boot from flash)

configure the router as per normal from this point.

Right... but before that. They'll probably have to update the ROMMON. I had a problem with my 831'd default ROMMON. They'll have to get off of Cisco's site. (I have it too.) They can also get a copy of the IOS from another router OR from Cisco's website.

As far as configuring the register...

I beleive that you want to run "confreg" not confeg...

Anyway... this thread is quite old. Not even sure if they'll come back and read it...

Here is the thread I started after I recovered mine.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267703
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Yep the original problem from Mishka is from 11-11-2003, I don't think that someone keeps his or her router down for a year and a half