Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat users. What are you going to do?

Red Hat users. What are you going to do?

I was just looking to get some Red Hat user's opinions on what they are planning to do now that Red Hat is pulling support for it's non-commercial version. I am personally switching to Debian. Just courious. Thanks.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

I stopped using it a while back (like four months or so ago) and switched over to the ol' convenient knoppix, as well as hdd-based Slackware.

I've gone to libranet 2.7 (based off debian) after seeing some info on it here (this site).

This apt-get feature is awesome!

I've gone to libranet 2.7 (based off debian) after seeing some info on it here (this site).
    This apt-get feature is awesome!
    The apt-get easy as pie none of that redhat bs registration(aKa similar to Microsotfy) just to get all the patches & upgrades. To get the ugrades/patches all I did was type : apt-get upgrade or somthinng similar easy as pie.
    Plus I like the Area 51 theme.
    They can have my copy of IceWM when they pry it from my skeleton fingers.
    I posted some screenshots in the Show us your stuff thread in chitchat
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=4

Yeah, apt-get is the bomb. Our distro Fu-King is based off of Debian also, so it was amazing that I was still running Red Hat. I just had stuck with it for a while. It just seems to me that Red Hat is pi$$ing on the small guys, by pulling support for its home OS. I don't know maybe that is just me. On my box that I do pen testing with I run Slackware, but I am soon to be dumping that when our Distro is closer to being done. Thanks for the comments guys.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Re: Red Hat users. What are you going to do?

Originally posted here by sysmin770
    I was just looking to get some Red Hat user's opinions on what they are planning to do now that Red Hat is pulling support for it's non-commercial version. I am personally switching to Debian. Just courious. Thanks.

If they like red hat they will probably just use Fedora I personally dont like red hat but I tried 9.0 and Fedora Core 1 for comparison and they are almost the exact same with the exception of changing some boot screens and a few other things.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

I'm looking into other distros ATM. Right now I'm going to look into gore's advise and try SuSE.

I never did before because I couldn't find a reliable ftp server with decent DL speeds and I've been told that the only way to get it is to buy the boxed set.

http://www.wormwang.net/mirrors/SuSE/8.2/

That is the mirror I've found. I got all the disks overnight, and plan to load them up on a test box this weekend. I'm hoping for the best!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a quick update:

Tonight I went ahead and installed SuSE 8.2. I was a Red Hat guy because thats what I've been learning/using for the past couple of years. I must say I now have a new distro. If it wern't for the support for video games that XP gives me, I'd completly switch over to SuSE. I was amazed at how easy it was to install. After the install you can run your updates right away. No registering with RHN to get your "demo" account. Software installation is a snap. I'm used to doing things via CLI, but the GUI is great. Its performance on my machine is amazing! It found ALL my hardware and automatically configured it for me. I had no problem using smbclient to connect to my RH samba server to get my mp3s and network drives.

I am VERY impressed with what I see (for the last 5 hours that I've used it).

This was only going to be a test box, but I'm going to leave it. I'm going to backup my RH box and turn it into a SuSE box.

I'd like to thank gore for the advise to try it out and for his help getting me feet wet with the config utility.

If you're looking for a new distro, check it out. I had no problem getting used to the config utilities and misc minor differences between the two distros. I posted a link to the .iso's I used above. It is version 8.2, however version 9.0 is out. I couldn't find that for download... but to tell you the truth... I think I'm just going to go out and buy it so I can get the docs and all. Eitherway... 8.2 or 9.0... its def worth a shot. I love it so far. I can't believe how much stuff they pack into those 5 cds... I'm blown away. (no, you don't have to install all 5 CDs...)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well i don't have any problem because i all ways buy the realeases that i whant, but as far im concerned not a lot of people buys them. And as a Linux user, i dont just use RH (SuSe Is my favorite) i think it sucks that RH whants to do that kind of stuff, it seems that they forgot were they came from, shame on them.

Thanks for all the comments. We've been talking about the impact RH's move is going to make on our operation. We have a few Linux boxes, mostly for student use in Web, database and user interface design. And I have a Linux system I'm using for network analysis.

I may blow away my RH box and try the Libranet distro for grins.

We may try the SUSE route for the student servers.