Thread: Nmap question

Nmap question

Allright well I issued the following command with nmap

nmap localhost
    For some reason it doesn't want to work all I get is an error which states the following :

Starting nmap 3.48 (http://www.insecure.org/nmap) at 2003-12-01 03:22 Eastern Time
    Unable to determine what interface to route packets through to 127.0.0.1 QUITTING!
    What does "unable to determine what interface to route packets through to 127.0.0.1 mean" ? Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I don't know what is causing the error. It might be solved, however, if you specify which interface to use directly, it might work. Try the following:

nmap -S 127.0.0.1 -e /dev/eth0 localhost

-S tells nmap which source address to include in the outgoing packets, I presume this is so you can route replies to a specified host
    -e tells it which interface to use. I am assuming you have an ethernet card in there, and that it is mapped to /dev/eth0

Otherwise replace the /dev/eth0 with the name of your communication device.

All this is assuming you are running linux. It should work for Windows too, but a different device name would be used.

/edit
    OK I just tried it under Win2k. Apparently Win2k doesn't support running of nmap on local loopback interfaces. So if you're running it, try specifying your IP address instead of the loopback address. It might work then.
    edit/
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Actually I'am running windows 98 on my computer and it never crossed my mind to use my real ip instead of localhost. But it works when I use place my real ip instead of localhost though.

nmap localhost
    ^--- I am still wondering why this wont work though ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I guess all Win versions don't support it on loopback then. Win2k gave me a different error at the command line. But it works on loopback under linux.
    I wonder why that is
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Just Another Geek
    You don't have all the features you need if you use the tcp/ip stack from win9x.
    Even W2K and XP don't have all the same features as a un*x tcp/ip stack.
    Atleast not (all) the features you need for nmap.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Psssssst!!! Three words, RAW socket support. Actually, this is one of the major "things" needed. There are a few others but this one is on top of the list.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Psssssst!!! Three words, RAW socket support. Actually, this is one of the major "things" needed. There are a few others but this one is on top of the list.
    Just thought I would add this:
    Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    I just got these in my email and thought they were pretty funny. So I'll share them with you.

Why We Love Children

1. A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a cat, but it was dead.
    "How do you know that the cat was dead?" she asked her pupil.
    "Because I pissed in its ear and it didn't move," answered the child
    innocently.
    You did WHAT ? ! ?" the teacher exclaimed in surprise.
    "You know,"explained the boy, "I leaned over and went 'Pssst!' and it
    didn't move."

Since when do people here count on Windows supporting the full Shell commands/programs/scripts/equivalents? Sure, it can imitate. But its never been fully up to date.

Also, try PenguiNet. Its a pretty good Shell emulator for Windows.
    http://download.com.com/3000-2155-10...ml?tag=lst-0-4
    XShell may also work
    http://download.com.com/3000-2155-10239658.html

Let me know how these things turn out for you. :-)
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Now what exactly is the difference between the windows tcp/ip stack and the *nix tcp/ip stack ? Just really curious on wanting to know and learn some more.
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Just Another Geek
    I think the biggest difference is raw socket support as TH13 pointed out. What this means is you can programmaticly create any type of packet you want with all the options/flags, source ip, dest ip etc. you can think of. With raw sockets you could create packets wich would normaly be illegal. Like setting both the SYN and FIN flags. Or create packets with a fake checksum or.....the options are endless. You can really mess up a packet if you wanted to
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.