Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIAA site defaced by hackers

Abtronic
    Look I think you are missunderstanding me here. I am not saying that sharing music is right. I am not even saying that RIAA should not do their jobs but going after children that "Legally" do not know any better and then claiming royalties... That is just plain wrong you can't expect to claim thousands of dollars in royalties from a 14 year old that was just doing what all his / her friends were doing. They should be putting some of thier resources to educating and preventing and not just declaring all out war.

If you want to get all uptight about it then fine, it's your blood pressure not mine, but remember this; This civilisation was built by people that did not follow the rules blindly but questioned what was wrong and what was right and did something about it.
    Dain Bramaged

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    What I don't understand is why the RIAA hasn't taken the common sense approach to securing their online presence. No one there anticipated something like this? I mean hell, who is watching the shop over there? Do they really think that after pissing off people who are computer savvy that something like this was not going to happen?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Personally i do find it amusing but at the end of the day it certanly wouldn`t of done any good. If anything its just gonna make things worse, the head of company aint gonna think lets back down because they defaced our site, hes more likely to be thinking lets come down even harder on everyone to teach them that we wont tolerate that kinda behaviour.

If I was a singer and I found out that millions of people are sharing my music over P2P services, I'd be pretty happy that I have that many fans, wouldnt you?

Just goes to show that all the artists that want the RIAA to sue is just in there little buisness for $$$.

Freedom Ltd.

The discussion going on here is actually about what freedom is. I believe the popularity of the global network depends on the uncertain limits of freedom. If virtual life had strict limits, it wouldn't be more different than everyday's world. None of us can easily deny the sweetness of the idea of 'having no bonds and limits at all'. It is not about filesharing or attacking networks. Net is the only place where you can simulate actual 'freedom'. For that reason, I don't support any of the sides. Censorship and intrusion of privacy are what both the authority and hackers do. And will continue to grow with each new government regulation and hacker attack. How far will it go? Complete data flow control (and passports for internet, maybe) and out-of-service or damaged servers which are designed for public benefit?

"By the way, don't forget to live sometimes..."

I can say just WOW. First try was good one. What should thay (RIAA and HACKERS) do next time? Hehe.....

Does it mean beging or continue of cyberwar?
    Poor people needs help, who can help them?
    People needs some alternatives both of them can do it. And thay do it.

Yee, "I am going to freeware poor life" == Some alternatives exist, not so good but.... I dont need more yet.
    Hehe.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Latest in the UK is about the gamers right to make a back-up disc of their legally owned games.( From PCZone Jan 04 edition, P 12 ) there is a right under the copyright law ( section 50(A) 1988 copyright designs and patents act.
    Now however the UK Gov has passed the - copyright and related rights regulations 2003 act, in this, section 296Z, makes it an offence to do anything which circumvents the copyright protection. CATCH 22. basically, you are allowed to make a back up copy, which automatically breaks the new law ????? PCZone is contemplating a test case because it is an offence to deprive the consumer of any right EXPLICITLY granted to them by law,and the copy protection means that you ARE deprived.
    this is just a thumb nail sketch of the argument, but there was enough in the mag to give me a headache reading it !!!!
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Re: Freedom Ltd.

Originally posted here by NetKill
    The discussion going on here is actually about what freedom is. I believe the popularity of the global network depends on the uncertain limits of freedom. If virtual life had strict limits, it wouldn't be more different than everyday's world. None of us can easily deny the sweetness of the idea of 'having no bonds and limits at all'. It is not about filesharing or attacking networks. Net is the only place where you can simulate actual 'freedom'. For that reason, I don't support any of the sides. Censorship and intrusion of privacy are what both the authority and hackers do. And will continue to grow with each new government regulation and hacker attack. How far will it go? Complete data flow control (and passports for internet, maybe) and out-of-service or damaged servers which are designed for public benefit?

"By the way, don't forget to live sometimes..."
    I fear that you are looking for an euphoric Utopia that will never exist. Although, I do agree with you, it would be ideal to have an unrestricted environment on the net. Reality though, dictates that any environment without restrictions results in anarchy. And it seems to me that hackers and web defacers promote anarchy. I'm not saying that the RIAA's actions are correct by any means, but they are right according to our existing laws. We have to remember that freedom is earned, not granted. I earned my degree so that a corproation could value my services and pay me for work. I am certainly glad that technology is not capable of instantly cloning my working skills, thereby rendering me incapable of earning a living, which is essentially what rippers are doing now to the music artists. Just trying the shoe on the other foot here.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Aslo note the RIAA has sought to change existing laws to make it legal to hack into potential voilaters of copyrighted material covered by artist agreement with the RIAA. You have to understand that people take offense to that behavior. The fear factor in this country is, actual lawmakers and elected officials have voiced the same opinion in "legalizing" coorporate hacking. How can one make a stance that those actions are OK?

RIAA has all rights to drag "music pirates" butts to court. Musicians works hard, and if you like the music why not buy it. Hell, what a cheap tradition, not to buy. Music cd's just cost 10 bucks. But some people would rather go through all the pain to retreive password file, crack it, design html welcome page and then upload it, with a risk to go to prison for long time. Don't you think, this is an expensive risk to take. Why not buy the music and pay your fair share to community and everyone is happy. Just ten bucks, may be cheaper if you get it through napster.