Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MB shot?

MB shot?

I have an old p200 packerd bell, that i tried to get to work today. I hooked it up to a monitor that i just tested(and it works) with no io cards, memory or ide cables in and powered it up. Power light comes on, cpu fan comes on, and ps fan comes on but no video, beep codes, or anything.
    I think the mb is shot, if you have an idea of what else might be wrong go ahead, i would really appriciate any help.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I've never tested a MB without memory. I'm going to "reach" and say you need some.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

If I'm not mistakened you need to have your memory (RAM) in place.

Go ahead and put some memory in it and see what happens.
    =

Hi

Packard Bells can be something of a law unto themselves

1. Do you get any activity from the HDD like noise and flashing lights?
    2. Does the floppy drive light up then go out?

I would try installing a video card and a sound card and as suggested some memory. I think the beeps will depend on the BIOS. I have a couple of old Compaqs that will beep if there is no memory, but I think that this is because they have 8Mb fixed on the MoBo. The BIOS/CMOS thinks that there should be more and complains?

Some PCs have all removable memory, so nothing would happen with them. You might also check the battery, as some machines won't work if it is flat?

Cheers

Well, I don't know about Packard Bell's but in NORMAL computers you shouldn't need to have RAM or even a CPU on the board for it to at least get to the BIOS as it is firmware and it should work as long as your video is functioning.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Originally posted here by mrcoffee12
    in NORMAL computers you shouldn't need to have RAM or even a CPU on the board for it to at least get to the BIOS
    Uhm... are you sure about that? I'm not about to yank my computer apart to prove it, but...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

IMO a Packard Bell is not a "normal computer"

This is a P200?...............not the latest? I have a P150 and stand by what I said

Merry Christmas

I no floppy and have the hd , and cdrom unplugged so they do not come on at boot, it has 640k of onboard soldered on ram, and integrated graphics. the hd read light doesn't come on because the harddrive is disconnected. I haven't tried start with no cpu but i will try if you say it should boot to bois if mb okay.

I just check the cmos battery it only had .5v and falling! I think it might be why it won't boot, thanks for the idea nihil i hope this is what is wrong, i will go buy a new one right NOW.

So far things look OK..................attach HD and at least one memory strip, then tell me what happens?

Merry Christmas

Johnno

Couldn't get battery tonight, store already closed, get one on friday.
    nihil, if i add ram and connect hd and start i get harddrive powerup, read light comes on the goes off after a second with no video, beeps , or any other hard drive activity or noise.Dead cmos battery is what it think is wrong, i'll fix it asap and post if it works or not.