Thread: ISO's

ISO's

hello people...
    I have read a few tutorials over installing FreeBSD and I want to do that. I just wanted tok now that how an operating system can be installed if its an ISO image. When I download any OS, its usually an ISO image. I am intrested in knowing bout ISO images and there installations. Also,does anybosy know whats the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD? How they are different from Linux and where these distros are used?
    Thank you for reading
    Ommy

Your question is twofold. One about installing FreeBSD from an CD (this is what I assume you mean from the ISO) and the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

Looking at trusty Google, this is what I found.

http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/freebsd/install.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k/install.html

and the differences between FreeBSD and OpenBSD:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-03/0040.html

that was just the first few results. A friendly piece of advice. Look to Google and you will find your answer.

to use an ISO file, you need to burn it into a blank CD. after you burn it, the CD will be the installer. you can even use DirectISO or MagicISO (both windows apps) to "browse" ISO files as if they were drives or folders. i use Nero for burning ISOs into CDs.

www.directiso.com
    www.nero.com

hope this help
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

An ISO is essentially an image of a CD as a single file (although, as jetherson points out, some programs will let you view them as directories/files). This makes it easier for sites to distribute software (mainly Linux distros) that takes up an entire CD. You download a single file (the ISO) and then when you burn it to a CD it expands to include all the files as if you'd downloaded each one separately and burnt it to a CD that way. It also means that you know that if you have the ISO then you have a copy of the entire CD (assuming the file isn't corrupted) so you don't need to worry about missing one or two files.

As for the difference between the two BSDs, check out the links alittlebitnumb gave, and also remember that OpenBSD tends to concentrate on having few security holes (they put a lot of effort into code auditing, and hardly any services are enabled by default) which may make it a good choice for a server but not the easiest to use if you're new to Unix and don't want to have to change the configuration too much once it's installed.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Yeah, an iso is basically a cd image that you burn directly to a cd. Thus, the cd becomes fully functional just by burning the iso.

By the way freeBSD was one of the quickest install's I have ever done!