Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nmap + windows XP

nmap + windows XP

nmap doesnt wonna work under windows xp I mean it works with internal network card but doesnt wonna scan otside hosts..........I have re-installed nmap and winpcap couple of times and tried to play with windows network monitor driver prot...but 0 result..

I dont have a problem with my server (win2000 sp4) i mean it has all the same setting (winpcap nmap version)

o yeah I've got ZoneAlarm installed on my machine......but it set up under nmap so souldnt be a problem........but who knows

any ideas?

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    nmap doesnt wonna work under windows xp I mean it works with internal network card but doesnt wonna scan otside hosts..........I have re-installed nmap and winpcap couple of times and tried to play with windows network monitor driver prot...but 0 result..

I dont have a problem with my server (win2000 sp4) i mean it has all the same setting (winpcap nmap version)

o yeah I've got ZoneAlarm installed on my machine......but it set up under nmap so souldnt be a problem........but who knows

any ideas?
    If you want to use nmap then get unix/linux not windows. I have had promblems with it myself on various windows operating systems 98,ME,XP I couldnt get it to work. Works excellent on red hat 9 though.

which version are you using??

also check this out http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2...-Dec/0027.html

Try another version of Winpcap and/or temporarily disable Zone Alarm to test......the Winpcap version change worked for me when I tested nmap under XP. Good Luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    As others have pointed out, NMAP does not have a good track record under W32.

E-Eye has a stable build of NMAP (2.83 I believe) and I have had a fraction of the issues with their build.

See my attachment.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Antionline Herpetologist
    NMapWin fails on my network too because ICMP echo (AKA ping) is blocked by the firewall. However, nmap -p0 host works fine.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

My advice would be to find a new port scanner. This is a good thread that discusses the better port scanners. Nmap for windows blows!

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...949#post630949

I'll try your nmap, thanks for sharing it.
    @+

I running a windows XP box with all the latest updates and nmap runs perfectly.
    Although it does seem to scan a bit quicker on my linux box.

I am running the newest nmap on my windows XP machine. After giving nmap complete access to zonealarm, it runs perfectly. Don't ask why they are having problems, as I've never once, in the history of nmap, watched it give me any problems in win32.