Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming language

Programming language

morning all

can anyone recomend a decent programming language for some one with a bit of nouce

i want to be able to compile .exe files as well as files for linux

good support online or book form would also be good

any thoughts, with reasons would be appreciated!!

cheers

M
    like life, this is a test

Just Another Geek
    Start with learning C. Most of the OpenSource programs are writen in C. After C you can try object oriented programming with C++ or Java. There's more then enough to be found on the Internet. You can also look through some of the tutorials posted here.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Look at Delphi for Windows and its Linux partner Kylix - From Borland

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

C definately C for starting most widely used easy to understand, simple, uncomplicated and i has think has the best online support and forums. this i think is the bent languste for logic building ond once u have sound logics u can learn any language

Originally posted here by w0lverine
    easy to understand, simple, uncomplicated
    Lol, I've never heard C described like that before! It's usually more along the lines of "how the $£^^£@ am I supposed to get to grips with these blasted pointer thingies?!?"

Nevertheless, C is probably the best language if you want to compile .exe files, or C++ if you want to start OOP now (and no, before anyone else says anything, you do NOT need to learn C before C++). However, if you want to create graphical user interfaces easily and/or are used to Visual Basic (as most people on my degree course are) you might want to try Kylix/Delphi.

Java is nice for creating GUI's, but you can't create standalone .exe files. I wouldn't recommend assembly as your first language, in fact I'd stay well clear of it until you know C in enough depth.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

thanks to all

will have a go at C then

i am going to hunt for a version but is there on avaliable to download someone knows of??

cheers M
    like life, this is a test

Lol, I've never heard C described like that before! It's usually more along the lines of "how the $£^^£@ am I supposed to get to grips with these blasted pointer thingies?!?"
    C can be as simple as u like, and complicated as it can get.

you do NOT need to learn C before C++
    u hit the nail on the head . i don't know why there is a myth that u have to know C to learn C++ . i didn't find them veeeee bit similar. they are miles apart the first is procedural and the latter in Object oriented. except for the compiler( the same Turbo C++ compiler compiles both C and C++ progs

Ninja Code Monkey
    Bleh @ C . C++, and grab stroustrups book on the language.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by yellowcat
    thanks to all

will have a go at C then

i am going to hunt for a version but is there on avaliable to download someone knows of??

cheers M
    There isn't really a 'version' of C as you would generally think of there being versions of programs. If you want a C compiler, try gcc (it comes installed by default on pretty much every linux distribution, try "man gcc" without the quotes at the command line for more information than you can shake a stick at) or Dev-C++ for Windows (it compiles C programs as well).

C can be as simple as u like, and complicated as it can get.
    That's true, but I wouldn't generally advise people to learn C as their first language unless they have a specific reason. Something like Visual Basic (much as I hate to use it nowadays) or Java is, in my opinion, better for learning the concepts of programming and less boring because you can produce reasonable results with very little code. You have to learn a good deal of C before you can do anything interesting enough to keep a new programmer keen.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Why do you specificly want to "compile *.exe's?" I say use the best language for the task at hand. There are many tools that you can use for cross platform development. Try to be more specific about your needs and goals.