Thread: W98 box losing access to W2K server

W98 box losing access to W2K server

I have a w98se box that has drives mapped to w2k server. Everything runs fine for awhile, but sooner or later the 98 box loses access to the server.

I found the KB artical about it, http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;278558

The artical goes to say that microshaft knows about the issue, but you have to call there tech support to resolve it. (Which I will do only as a last resort.)

If anyone know a fix for this issue would be much appreciated.
    Mad Beaver

AOs Resident Troll
    Did you read the article???

There is a workaround.

Also.......w98 is unsupported.upgrade the OS

Morgan
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yes I read the article, and there are four workaround. Two of which do not work around here.

Workaround are great for someone that know there way around a os, but for the everyday lUser to do them is to expect a lot.
    Upgrading would be great, but sometimes you have to make do with what the company give you to work with.
    Mad Beaver

AOs Resident Troll
    Your support charges may be waived.....

: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem
    I have one site with 98 clients and and a 2K server I have been able to resolve this by using power management settings......disable standby and turn off harddrives.......could also be a hardware issue with your network, bad cable, hub\switch setup etc..........

If it is interupting business......it is worth the call to MS. Treat the tech with respect and the support from MS is usually..excellent.

Just my $.02 CDN

Morgan
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO French Antique News Whore
    morganlefay gave me a hint. Maybe when Win 98 go into stand by or hibernation mode, they lost their map drive.. You know, it's Windows 98!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks for the help.
    Mad Beaver