Thread: hello id like to inttroduce myself

hello id like to inttroduce myself

hello my name is greg id like 2 introduce myself to the forum as i am new to this board. i usually post in sports forums moslty and this is the first time i have seen such a big forum regarding computer tech talk etc etc... i must say i am very impressed to say the least and i hope that i can gain some knowledge and input by becoming a member here. there are many things that i would like 2 discuss and some topics include reverse software engineering, public information lookup, and some other basic computer topics.

i am well aware that certain topics may not be discussed, however i am not fully aware of which ones exactly that can or cannot be discussed, and hopefully i will learn this as time goes by. one of the more sensitive issues i was interested in is account cracking, and perhaps this topic may not be allowed to be discussed or perhaps there's another term you may use for it.

i think one of the topics that i would most likely want to infer about is cell phone lookup which is basically public information etc etc. i realize this issue doesn't really involve computer security per say, but if i can get any insight on that particular topic i'd greatly appreciate it. i mostly would like 2 know how and where i can go to execute such inquiries. the only thing i have seen for such inquiries is a service in which u pay 20 dollars for a cell phone search or whatever, but i figured that there has to be an easier way perhaps ??

nevertheless i am glad to be a new member and if any of my topic matter seems out of place please tell me and i will refrain from such postings...

ok thanks for any and all input..

Welcome to AO.

Here, we discuss practically anything to do with computers, technology and almost anything else in other non-security forums. This site is more of a security oriented site and is frequented mostly by people interested in security, security professionals, administrators, students and your general computer user who just wants to protect themselves online.

You can do some browsing of the forums to find out what is appropriate...

"How can I hack hotmail?" Or, "How do I break into my friends's computer?" type questions are frowned upon. If you want to learn about security technology and how to protect yourself, then you are at the right place. The newbies security forum and tutorials forum will help get you the basics.

As far as cell phones, public information lookup, etc. They would certainly be appropriate IMO, because if you know what info out there is about you, its easier to help protect yourself from identity theft. Social engeneering is certainly one thing you will want to look at. Humans are the weakest link when it comes to security.

If you have specific questions after you've done your research, drop them in an appropriate forum. There are always a couple dozen people around that can help or point you in the right direction. This site has a gold mine of good info... but in the search for gold... you're going to dig up a bit of crap.

You'll learn quickly that www.google.com and how to use it properly will be your best friend.

Read the stickies at the top of the forums and you'll get along here just fine.

Also, read this thread here by Ennis.

Again, welcome to AO!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

thank u

thanks for advising me and welcoming me to the forum. i have read some of the threads as you have indicated. much appreciated...