Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcoming new users

Welcoming new users

Would it be possible/ feasable to autogenerate a welcoming email for when new people register? Phish had a nice reply (http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=252872) , and I thought maybe something like that would cut down on inapropriate questions that get posted from time to time?

Good thinking Groovicus. I'm not sure if that would cure the nonsense that the newbies babble, but it would surely work to minimize it.

Also, on a different note, I've noticed that most of all the newbies have either red or grey antipoints. Being a newbie once-and actually still am in a sense-, I know how it felt to have all the guys with hundreds of posts downgrading the things I had to say. That really doesn't help. Just cuz they're new doesn't mean they don't have the same amount of say into figuring out security issues as the people who have been here longer. Do we not want the "antionline community" to grow? The answer to that should be yes. So, lets not push them away, but instead encourage them to give their insight.
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

i think sending the new people a version of the faq via email would be a decent idea in theory, but i don't think that it will be as effective as one would hope... the part that isn't being taken is simple.... and that is PEOPLE HAVE TO READ THEM. this is a problem. i know when i get an email from a service or organization that says "hey thanks for joining, here's the rules..." i delete them... i only open them to see if there is an activation link. there are other ways to approach the idea also, but with out having a test that people have to pass, none of them will be overly effective. and i think a test or quiz would be a little much...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Banned
    Maybe we could cerate a PowerPoint or Flash movie with the text and pictures, I know most people like pictures and text more then just plain text.

Yeah....a flash cartoon, then everyone would watch it, unless they are on dial up and it takes too long to load--of course.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    Actually I think Flash is the single most annoying thing ever and will avoid any website with a flash intro.

Banned
    not a flash intro, maybe a file attachment or something in the mail.

i don't know that it would help much anyway... even if we had a test it would still leave for plenty of people to break the rules... we are fighting a losing battle here... example being... we have tests in order to get a drivers liscence, but hoiw many people who took that test break the rules after taking it?
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

sigh..it's so much easier to criticize than to put yourself out and maybe help find solutions...life is a losing battle, does that keep you from trying to improve it?

I am under no illusion that it's going to solve a bunch of problems. What I did think may happen was that it would at least give people a nice welcome to AO and enhance the feeling of community, along with giving a brief outline of acceptable behavior. In addition, a link to the Faqs would be helpful. DId you read Phish's post? I thought it was nice without being preachy.

From a management standpoint, once the automated mailer is set up, no further work need be done.

Actually I think Flash is the single most annoying thing ever and will avoid any website with a flash intro.
    blasphemy!!!! tho flash intros are dead - flash still rawks!!

v_Ln