Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed .. Trojan Startpage Menance

Help Needed .. Trojan Startpage Menance

Hi friends....

My comp running on windows XP is infected with Trojan startpage...........

I am using Norton Antivirus..... The software program is able to detect the virus... the virus has infected ctrlpan.dll file under system32 folder.....

I am not sure if ctrlpan is a valid dll file required by windows XP.. I also tried Trojan remover... But it could detect any torjan....

I am using adware.... But I guess it is not able to come to my rescue........

Guys.. if someone knows how to tackle this problem please guide me...........

Thanks in advance

Kalp

Do you mean Norton doesn't detect the trojan?
    A Trojan cleaner should do the job.
    Adware isn't for removing Trojans it's to remove spyware (well a spyware program can be a trojan sometimes but mostly I think spyware is simply installed)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Norton detects... But it is unable to repair it says access denied.. may be b'cos it is a sytem32 file...., the infected file is in c:/windows/system32/ctrlpan.dll

Frankly I am not sure if ctrlpan.dll is a valid windows file.......

Could u suggest me some good trojan remover program..

I have tried trojan remover..... It could not even detect the trojan....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

Access denied, could also be because the file is currently in use, have you restarted your computer since you got infected? (Make sure Norton scans on booting)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Yes I followed the instructions for Windows XP i.e disable auto restore stareted in safe mode and ran the complete antivirus scan... Norton detected the virus but was unable to delete it.....

I have tried all the remedies the antivirus site had to offer..... But my Norton antivirus is unable to delete the trojan for some reasons....

Please help me with this problem
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

anjli i dont think ctrlpan.dll is a valid system file. try deleting the file and scanning again. but i don't get it if sometimes norton is not able to clean a file it generally quarntines it

try something like cleaner...think its available at www.moosoft.com(I think)..I dont think its a system dll file either...try deleting it..true that bout Norton's w0lverine...lol

I think this just might be what you are talking about :
    TROJ_SMALL.DB

Sometimes it's also a good idea to use one of the free on-line antivirus scanners. Try this one out I use it to scan my computer every week.
    TrendMicro-HouseCall

If you want to know if it's a valid *.dll for your Microsoft product try this out :
    DLL Help Database
    This database contains information about DLL files that ship with selected Microsoft products.

DLL Help exists to assist developers, system administrators, and other IT professionals who face file version conflicts with Microsoft software. Use DLL Help to identify which software installed a specific version of a DLL.
    I hope that helps...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

What I usually do for things like that is to boot into DOS (boot disk), or in the case of my laptop I boot into Linux (SuSE). That way, I can rename the file, see if everything still works, and then delete it.

Edit: Don't forget about SpybotSD. It's pretty good.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Thank you all....

Agent Steal many thanks 2 u for those supportive links.. I guess trend micro has detailed procedure for deletion of this malware.....

This trojan relatively seems harmless but it simply changes the start page of Internet Explorer.....

But I was not sure if it is programmed to bomb at specific dates....and anyways knowing that u have virus on ur systems is not a very healthy feeling.... U somehow want to get rid of those junk code.....

Thanks a lot... I shall try the suggestions offered so far.. I am confident one of them would work.. shall try renaming ctrlpan.dll and see if it effects my PC.....

Bye

Kalp