Thread: Subnetting Exercises

Subnetting Exercises

Hey all--

Long time no post, well that's mainly due to the fact that I am taking a lot of computer courses that will get me prepared for the 1st choice college I got accepted to! I am going to major in Applied Networking and Administration ( so excited ) but anyway I am kinda at odds here and need a little help.

Our teacher for CISCO pt.1 gave us a lot of hw over the holiday break one of the worksheets he gave us is on a new topic that we are have started which should be familliar to most of you, Subnetting. I've looked at the cirriculum and the notes I took but I can't get some of the questions. I've e-mailed my teacher but unfortunatly I haven't gotten back a response so in the meantime I figured I should ask here since you all could probly offer better insight as it is heh heh...

Here it goes ok, he gives us the IP address 188.10.5.0, and the subnet mask 255.255.255.192. From this he asks a bunch of questions such as...

What is he class of the IP?
    -- I'm thinking it's a class B
    What is the default subnet mask?
    -- I put 255.255.0.0
    What is the broadcast address of this network?
    -- This is where I get confused
    How many bits have I borrowed?
    How many subnets have I created?
    How many usable subnets do I have?
    How many host do I have per subnet?
    How many usable hosts do I have per subnet?
    What are the vaild IP ranges per subnet?

I would greatly appreciate any insight to this. I think if I got the broadcast address question I could figure out the rest but I dunno? Thanks again for your time.

-- Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Sounds like you need some basic subnetting tutorials. Check out sonic's post in the tuts section.

Also spend some quality time searching through the examnotes ccna forum: http://www.examnotes.net/forum18.html
    I spent a lot of time their when I was gettting my ccna, you can find examples and explanations of every kind of subnetting exercise you can think of there.
    [gloworange]
    find /home/$newbie -name *? | www.google.com 2>/dev/null
    [/gloworange]

Agree, this is VERY basic stuff. I hate to say it, but like everyone else says, type "subnetting" into Google. I am very surprised that if this is an instructor led class, he/she did not cover any of this (this is what subnetting is) or it is not in the course materials...

Also, why get a 4 year degree in networking and administartion? If all you're shooting for is becoming and admin and making only $40-$60K a year, you are wasting your money. If its just to get a degree, fine, but what about information security, or just computer science? If you wanna be an admin, join the military, they will pay you to learn your skills, work for a while and pay for college (plus if you keep your nose clean you can get a security clearance and work the fun jobs) Just my opinion.