Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: win XP passwords

win XP passwords

hello to everyone

my question is ...where does windows xp keeps my passwords and what do i do if i gorget my password for exaple say MSN

depends on if your talking about system logon passwords, or application passwords. Most apps wont store the password anywhere unless you have it stored, in which case you dont need it to sign on. If you forgot your msn password, call msn
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Its actualy paltalk password for a blue nick

getting it throught paltalk support its a nightmare cos
    i dont remebmer my secret question dude

yeah, your MSN password wouldn't be stored on your pc unless you check the box to save your password some point. if you didn't check the box then you can't get it for sure. either way, you'll have to call msn customer service . there is no point in going through all the effort of "cracking" it when the alternative is easier. all you have to do if i remember correctly is know your account number and they ask you one or two questions to verify you are you (last 4 digits of your social i believe) and thy set you up with a new temporary password.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Hey heroj,

In general, if you're desperate, you can try going through all your cookies-if you can withstand the boredom ha- and find the password. XP-both home and pro-keep most, if not all, of the forms that you fill out. To me, this feature is BS and quite frankly I don't like it so I took it off, but you might be able to find your lost password that way.

However, in the future, try this link that I found off the antionline website on the front/title page. It's called "Password Manager XP 1.8 (CP-Lab.com)" and is under the "EITPlanet.com: Security Products" section. Personally, I haven't tried it yet, but from the summary it looks very reliable and would suit your needs quite nicely.

Here's a quick link-->Password Manager...

Hope that helps.
    -Jagfire19
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

it was always checked Lord and than i decide to change the password and than i didnt check and i forgot what it was

thanks for the link jagfire i download that program i will see how it works tommorow

but i had a feeling that XP keeps the password is SAM file od .pwd somewere on the hard drive?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    XP keeps XP specific passwords (that is to log into users on XP) in the SAM file. Other applications -- like web browsers -- will keep passwords elsewhere. If you do use cookies, it's very possible that the password will be in one other them (assuming you haven't removed the cookies). Otherwise, you may be SOL and might have to start over again.

In the case of PalTalk, it may store the password locally (I went to their website and see that you have to download/install an app).

You might also want to try previous passwords you've regularly used and pop those in.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The SAM file is only used to keep the password you would use to log on to your computer. Any other application passwords you may need can be stored anywhere the programmers desire. MSN Messenger passwords, for example, are stored on their password server, and not on your computer until you say otherwise. I would think the only passwords stored locally on your computer are going to be windows logon passwords.

I think you're going to have to go the custyomer support route.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

[deleted redundant content]

Some apps store the passwd encrypted in the registry, but not usually.
    [gloworange]
    find /home/$newbie -name *? | www.google.com 2>/dev/null
    [/gloworange]

I would like to know a software that shows the passwords behind asteriscs on WINXP, not just I.explorer passwords but also RAS-DIAL and all other passwords that are behind asteriscs. I want a real program not bullshit programs that shows only asteriscs. Please if anyone here know one please leave a reply.