Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to update BIOS

How to update BIOS

Well im a newbie with hardware and BIOS rofl so...i need to update my BIOS for my hard disk which i purchased yesterday
    its a WD800JB hard disk with 80GB...the problem is that it only shows 32GB even in BIOS
    many people told me i need to update my BIOS
    INFO:
    Computer: Compaq Presario 7000us
    Motherboard: KQS1608045 QUIK-SILVER

I guess thats all..i tried going to compaq and making a boot disk for my system...i did and i boot my system and everything goes fine but then it sais something like...THERE ARE NO ROM FILES ON THE DISK....strange lol and yes the disk was formated before making the boot disk
    i really donnu wat to do...anyone help?
    THANKS YOU

/scriptkiddie18

Hey scriptkiddie18,

I looked around and here are some links that may provide you some information:

1)Updating/Flashing BIOS

2)This one is great, much in depth...

*If these links don't help you, I'm a quick google search would surely help you. Not too hard either. *
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

Have you tried going to the western digital web site they have a software download that should update your bios http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

Hi,

Go to the Western Digital site and get their installation tool...

Forget about BIOS updates IMHO, they will not solve this problem

Cheers

DID and didnt help

Hi,

That is unusual...you did say that you wanted to format NTFS?....A BIOS update will not get you over the major hurdles because the machine is obsolete?

Cheers

To be honest I haven't heard of any need to update a BIOS to use an 80GB HDD before. Those issues happened at 136GB or so, due to how HDDs are addressed/searched.

Also, I searched your PC model, and got this: http://shopping.yahoo.com/p_compaq-p...:bgsib,slk:sib - it should have come with an 80GB HDD? But another result http://www.zdnetindia.com/supercentr...erview/96.html said the version in India has 30GB...

This computer should already support your 80GB HDD, I have no idea why it doesn't. Perhaps you should take it to a friend's house and plug it into his PC, format your 80GB HDD, and see what it shows up as? Maybe one of the HDD platters failed? I dunno... I'm just suggesting it might not be your PC/Motherboard, but rather the HDD itself. Good luck finding the problem.

Edit:
    Probably not because his machine is old. Mine is older and I have no problems with a 120GB HDD. Two of them infact, the first one being USB 2.0 (and I got it cheaper than you can still get one today! It is a year old too ). My first HDD failed, but was replaced no cost since the Tech people couldn't even get it to work, and I'm thinking that failures on these large HDDs are not to uncommon, especially 80GB HDDs...

Hey guys thanks to everyone for your help
    The problem has been solved and GrApHiCTrOn takes the credit
    Again thank you all
    peace

/scriptkiddie18

//RANT//

OK, I am rather pissed off with this sort of thing:

A solution is found and is not posted

Many will say "search the forum"....for what...another bloody dead end?

"
    The problem has been solved and GrApHiCTrOn takes the credit
    NO he bloody doesn't and neither do you........because we have not seen the "solution" have we?

//END RANT//

I am not the "negging" sort....but I am seriouly thinking of doing it to people who leave threads open???????....they are not helping the community.

Cheers

Ok I am thinking that the drives had to be either swiched or it was a wrong jumper setting that is the only other things that come to mind now that I thought about it a bit more.