Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: packets

packets

How do I check my logs to my internet? Like who has pinged me and all that stuff.

<sarcasm> TO much detail here you need to tone it down </sarcasm>

What kind of a setup do you run?

Operating Systems?

What is your gateway? box? router?

Firewall?
    $pak = me;

Sorry. I didn't really know what people needed to tell me the answer. Mandrake 9.2, D-Link router, external cable modem. Normal laptop Mandrake setup with everything but servers put in.

Hey lpaulgib,

I'm not really sure what you're looking for so I'm going to put down two possible answers to your question:

1) If you're asking how to check what kind of stuff was typed into your computer-in response to someone who's not supposed to be on your laptop, but is- then you'll want to dl a keylogger. They have a few options here on antionline.com in the download section:

2) If you're asking how to determine whether there are crackers trying to crack into your computer/pinging into your OS, then you'll want to dl a monitoring system like BlackICE. I used to have it when my firewall was down, and it did nice stuff. If you have a firewall you shouldn't need the monitoring system. BTW, BlackICE has firewalls as well that you can purchase-off their website(i think):

Hope that helps!
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

Your router will see and filter most of the traffic. You can find the LAN side IP address of the gateway through ifconfig and make it a URL. Example: http://192.168.1.1 Use your browser to connect to the routers interface to view logs.

You may also be able to send those logs off to another node on your LAN instead of watching it through the browser if its supported.
    $pak = me;

Thanks Pac. Thats what I need. I can't log on, because I don't know my password, but thats what I needed.

Ok. I checked the logs, and I noticed it said spoof attack fromd MAC address [*****] from the same IP many times. It was also the same time that my cable modem seemed to shut off. Would that be someone DOS'ing me, and if so is it possible to find an IP from a MAC so I can report this to their ISP?

Originally posted here by lpaulgib
    Ok. I checked the logs, and I noticed it said spoof attack fromd MAC address [*****] from the same IP many times. It was also the same time that my cable modem seemed to shut off. Would that be someone DOS'ing me, and if so is it possible to find an IP from a MAC so I can report this to their ISP?
    Dont be shy when it comes to giving out that little scriptkiddies address. First make sure thats not your ISP scanning you www.DNSstuff.com Type in the IP and have fun. Me personally If I get someone scanning my ports,two things if not both are going to happen.
    1) They will be getting a call from that ISP
    2) My friends & I will be doing some scanning of are own with NMAP from a remote location*Library*. Most of my rare scans end up seeming to be honeypots *fart* there just to good to be true.

Ethereal
    Sniffing the glue that holds the Internet together

Description

Ethereal is a free network protocol analyzer for Unix and Windows. It allows you to examine data from a live network or from a capture file on disk. You can interactively browse the capture data, viewing summary and detail information for each packet. Ethereal has several powerful features, including a rich display filter language and the ability to view the reconstructed stream of a TCP session.

Enjoy.
    “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well the logs give me a MAC address, and I don't know how to do anything with that.