Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winXP Won't Network

winXP Won't Network

Hello Everyone.

I'm really unexpreinced with WinXP, due to switching entirley to Linux after winME. I have tried on two diffrent networks to get WinXP into a simple peer-to-peer network with no luck. On the current network, one computer is running winXP, one win98 and the other winME. The winME and win98 computerse see each other fine and can share files. All computers are on 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and are all in 192.188.1.* network range. Linksys Router which is the gateway to the internet see's all computers and all computers can access internet. The problem is the one winXP computer can not see other computers on the Workgroup (all computers are on same workgoup named workgroup). When I try to access the workgroup via the winXP computer it says the "workgoup is unavailable or I do not have premissions to access it) but to my knowlege no computers have passwords, and even If they did I should still be able to acess the workgroup. This really has me stumped. If anyone could help I would extremly appreciate it.

Happy New Years.

DeafLamb

First, make sure that all computers in question have NetBIOS over TCP/IP installed. But you probably already did that.

The next thing to check is whether or not accounts exist on the WinXP computer to allow the others to access it. I had this problem a few months ago, and I think that is how I fixed it. It was stopping anything from Win2000 or earlier from connecting to the WinXP box because the account I was using on the older machines did not exist on the XP box.

But you are also having problems connecting from the XP box top the 98 boxes, so I would definitely check to be sure that all the computers share a common protocol, namely NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Anyways, that's my take on the problem. Here is Microsoft's. It's a Windows 2000 article, but it should work for XP too.

/edit
    This page should also be of some help.
    edit/
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

i have noticed that windows xp is kinda crappy on peer-to-peer networks... we had one in my old apartment and it would constantly see computer that uesd to be on the old network (and when you clikc on them would pull the no page to be displayed deal) and even now if i look in my work group (as my computer is on no network) it sees computers from the apartment....
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Elite Hacker
    One thing you can try that has worked for me is to just run through the network setup wizard on each computer starting with XP. Then you can use the XP install disk to do it on the other computers. Also, I believe there is something in the properties of your LAN connection. Just go to control panel>Network connections, and right click on your local area connection and choose properties. in the advanced tab there should be something at the bottom for setting up your network, but i believe it is the same as the network setup wizard, so just try what I mentioned first and make sure you put in the same workgroup name for each computer on the network setup wizard. Good luck.

I had the same problem when I was working on a network with Windows XP 2000 and 98. I found that when you setup a router or a computer to assign IP address rather then having static IPs on all the computers this will most likely fix it. I am not sure why or how this makes a difference but it made it work on that network.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Striek, the win98 and winXP box both have netBios over TCP/IP. WinXP, correct me if I'm wrong comes with it defaultly installed right. I went to install protocols and did not see it listed, i even checked under servces with out seeing anything. Here is another interesting thing I forgot to mention in my first post.

The WinXP box can NOT ping the other two machines, but the two machines can ping the winXP box. I thought maybe a faulty cable, but the winXP is wireless and has good signal strength. Also the WinXP box has not problem connecting to the internet obviously because that is where my first post was done from. The linksys router when I login and look at the DHCP Log ALL Three computers are listed. I'm really dumbfounded.

Nihil I did try using the network setup wizard on XP with the disk it creates on the WinMe computer, no luck. The winME and win98 still both saw each other but the XP system was still out of the loop.

DeafLamb

Sounds like a firewall problem.

Do you have XP's firewall enabled, or do you have some other third party firewall such as Norton, or Mcaffe?
    =

No Firewall, I made sure WinXP firewall under the advanced tab is Not Checked.

Deaflamb

Have you ever had Zone Alarm on there before? Even if you stop zonelarm, it still runs and will block traffic.

Just for the hell of it, you might try deleting your NIC from the Device manager then reinstalling it when windows reboots. Maybe theres some setting thats messed up.

Also, I would double check everythin on all the computers, makeing sure you didn't accidentally transpose a number of letter somewhere.

This seems like one of those problems where the answer is right under your nose.
    =

I know what your saying, it is really buging me. I'm going to try again tomorrow (network isn't mine) ZoneAlarm or anyother firewall has never been installed.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

DeafLamb