Thread: Intel Centrino VS. Pentium 4-M

Intel Centrino VS. Pentium 4-M

Hi all, I like ask about the performance between Centrino vs. Pentium 4-M in term of computer game. Why the Intel Centrino is more expensive compare to the P4-M?

Thanks.....

DONNY JOSEPH.

The centrino is built specifically for laptops, to balance speed (in terms of CPU cycles/sec) against power consumption (and as a result, battery useage). I've found that, on my equipment, a Centrino with the same clock speed as another processor generally performs faster when doing mathematical calculations. Of course, this is only from my own observations and I haven't done any benchmarks.

However, if you're playing games, you'd probably be better off buying a decent (128/256mb) graphics card and adding more RAM before upgrading your processor, unless it is really slow already.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I would suggest that a laptop is not the ideal tool for gaming anyway? The problem is screen size and resolution rather than processor speed.

OK I have only experimented with "Serious Sam" and "Soldier Of Fortune" and "MaxPayne" as well as older titles and young children's stuff. I have found that even an AMD 1.3GHz Duron is quite adequate. I do know that some games like rather a lot of RAM amd that the main limitation seems to be with the videocard and CRT resolution.

I personally don't recommend LCD screens for gaming because of the much lower screen resolution.

This box has a 64Mb GeForce Card and I am using a CTX 17" LCD flat monitor.........the card has far greater potential than the screen. By comparison, the other PC in the room is an old IBM ex-corporate box which I stuck an ATI Radeon 7000 into (also 64Mb), the screen is an IBM G54 and gives much better resolution and refresh rates. This only cost $35 (PC+ Screen +keyboard +mouse +OS!!!) and I have spent about $100 on it since.

You might consider getting a secondhand box and upgrading it as a gaming box.

Remember "bragging rights" are expensive Most games will work very well with quite basic equipment..........or the suppliers would go out of business?

I personally feel that videocard, screen and RAM are more important than processor speed (within reason!) when it comes to gaming.

Cheers

Centrino are a better
    the are smaller faster and have more battery life than 4-m
    centreno also have intel wireless cards buit in

Centrino is basically a standard where you use a certain Intel Chipset + Wireless card. That is all that is required to be considred "Centrino."

Also, many "Centrino" solutions use the Pentium 4M processor. You can't compare things that are the same to see which is better, since the processor is the same.

About Intel Centrino: http://www.intel.com/products/mobile...rino/index.htm

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their is 2 processor, Pentium M and Pentium 4-M. Pentium 4-M is a basic Pentium 4 who was tweak for laptop (Power consumption). Pentium M was designed from the scrath with Power consumption in mind so it's technially better.. Pretty sure a Pentium M can last longer unplug that a Pentium 4-M with the same equipement/usage.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Pentium M is essentially a grounds-up reworking of the PIII designed for mobiles. It offers higher IPC than the P4, and much lower power consumption. It is a lot closer in terms of performance guaging to the Athlon XP than it is to the P4, though as far as I'm aware, it includes SSE2 support.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Unhappy

I didn't know/realize there was a Pentium M, I thought there was only a Pentium 4M...

Sorry about that, at the time I thought there was only a P-4M and that Centrino used it... I guess that isn't the case... 2 different processors there...

AO French Antique News Whore
    Centrino is a Pentium M, a Intel Wireless Adapter and a chipset all designed from scrath with power consumption as priority.
    -Simon \"SDK\"