Thread: C# and its applications

C# and its applications

Hi there,

Before i go out and pay whatever rip off price Microsoft charges for its .NET development tools, i was wondering if anyone here had actually used C#?

I intend to concentrate mainly on VB.NET, but i would like to know if C# is a suitable language (read: easy to use) for socket programming [IRCD, IRC, other IM applications]. What are your experiences? Do the programs run "more efficiently" than its other .NET counterparts?

Regards

Ninja Code Monkey
    c# is a great language. You can use it to easily build windows applications, services, web services web applications and components. I actually prefer it over vb nowadays. As far as running efficiently and so on, I think you need to do a bit more reading on how .net works.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Re: C# and its applications

Originally posted here by Abtronic
    but i would like to know if C# is a suitable language (read: easy to use) for socket programming [IRCD, IRC, other IM applications]. What are your experiences? Do the programs run "more efficiently" than its other .NET counterparts?
    I have used C# quite extensively - sorry I haven't used it for any (direct) socket programming, so I can't say whether it's suitable for what you want, but the library generally provides a good set of routines to do most things.

I would say that it probably is fine for what you want to do.

"More efficiently"? You'll have to suck it and see. How efficient your code is may depend on things other than what language it's written in anyway.
    I intend to concentrate mainly on VB.NET
    Please don't

VB.NET is essentially a kludge made by M$ to gently coax VB programmers out of their shitty little forms, in to the world of real programming. Sadly, it's not similar enough to VB to keep the VB programmers happy, and is essentially just a braindamaged version of C# with weird syntax.

VB.NET == Kludge; braindamaged C# with more ****ed up syntax.

Just use C#. Whatever anyone says, C# is the language the .NET framework was designed to run.

Slarty