Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is =rand(200,99)

what is =rand(200,99)

Just type "=rand(200,99)" in MS Word and see it will automatically starts writing "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy old dog" . Does anyone know wth is this? And if you type "=rand(1,1) it will only shows you the sentence once. Anyone care?

That's called an Easter Egg. There are tons of Easter Eggs in a lot of Apps you'd never think people would care to put into. This website has text on tons of these Easter Eggs, not only in programs, but also in art, music, movies, et al. http://www.eeggs.com BTW, an easter egg is like a hidden feature included for fun, although the website has a better definition.

The first number is how many "paragraphs" of those sentences should be made.
    The second number is how many "sentences" per paragraph.

My personal favoruite was the "Magic Eight Ball" in Microsoft Access. Oh, and for everyone with Internet Explorer - type in "about:mozilla" into the address area. It is similar to the blank screen of "about:blank", except it is the color "Blue Screen of Death". I assure you it is safe to do though. I can't seem to find out why AntiOnline puts a space in about:mozilla - There should be no space

I also love the high-res color Taxi in Palm OS 5.

I guess this should be asked: What is your favorite Easter Egg in software you use every day?

What is an "Easter Egg"? - The term "Easter Egg", as we use it here, means any amusing tidbit that creators hid in their creations. They could be in computer software, movies, music, art, books, or even your watch. There are thousands of them, and they can be quite entertaining, if you know where to look. A couple of our favorites are the "Spy Hunter"-like game in Microsoft Excel 2000 and the "Wacky Search Menu" in Internet Explorer 5. This site will help you discover Easter Eggs in the things you see and use everyday, and let you share Easter Eggs you discover with the rest of the world.
    try typing "Zzzz" without quotes in word 97 then press space a red line will apear below the word (suggesting the spelling is wrong. ). check word suggestions see what bill gates make out of zzzz --------

And the security implications are ?
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

what are the security implications?
    easter eggs are for fun purpose only . they are small hidden features the programmer might do it for fun or to chech how well his program is explored and bla bla. i mean it's up to the programmer he might hide a malicious code in his program, but then it would not be a easter it will be a trojan horse. like a day or two i was reading somthing about "NetSnooper GOLD Version 1.60" that is used to scan for default trojan ports and find infected machines. has a hidden featutre in it which allows users with a passwords to acess machines which has Netsnooper Gold v1.6. ok i will ujust check out and try to find where i read it

yes i have found it

There are many such backdoor programs already in existance, we stress that you watch all of your programs with the connection monitor that comes with Hacker Eliminator to be sure that connections are not being made, or that data is not being sent over the Internet when questionable programs are in use. An example of one such program that we have found is called Netsnooper Gold. If you do a search on the net you will find this program well in use. It will be found on download sites described as:

NetSnooper GOLD - A port scanner and listener, network monitoring tool and more... is used to scan for default trojan ports and find infected machines. A great program for this type of trojan attack because it is opening many ports. Once the program is started, it will start opening ports and making connections to computers. If someone tries to keep up with the many connections that it was making and ports that it was opening, it would be almost impossible to keep track of them all.

The person that programmed this port scanner had this in mind when he put a timer on his listening port. After about a minute of the program being open will open port 6701 and listen on it for any connections to be made. Anyone that starts the program and starts to use it would easily miss this port being opened. After the port is opened the Netsnooper Gold program will send out two ICQ notify messages that contain ICQ password and UIN information including the local IP address of the person using the Netsnooper program. The author now has all of the information needed to connect to your machine and start uploading or downloading files.

The Secret Window.
    If you put the right password in New Pass: and then right click your mouse on the devil head, a secret window will open as shown below.

If you were running the Netsnooper Gold program, the hacker can now connect to your computer by typing in your IP address and clicking on the "Connect" button. Once he is connected he can upload trojans, delete, move, rename, download or execute program files. If you are using a firewall program none of these connections will be reported because you have trusted the program

With other Internet firewalls when you trust an Internet server, hackers can make connections to the trusted server and the firewall would ignore those connections and never alert you to them. Be aware that the programmer of any of your trusted programs could have put a backdoor into the program that will allow connections to your computer and allow access your files without your knowledge.

yes i knew this but i donno much abt eeggs
    Sometimes realitys are dreams we cannot live in.... (as my bst fren says) [/shadow]

actually its not really an egg as such it is a command that you can give to MS Word to make it display "filler text" the numbers in brackets donote how many times the sentance is repeated.

Used to see how things will look when content is added - many people prefer to fill it with non-repeating words (ie not filling it with blah blah blah blah) as it looks too blocky and does not give a true idea as to what the finished piece will look like when content is added.

Also as a side note ::: the sentance "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy old dog" uses every letter in the english language at least once.

v_Ln

thanks vl_n that cleard up some junk out of my head.

ask this question in gen chit chat area
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767