Thread: HD Problem

HD Problem

Its my 1st time installing a hard disk on a slave connection...i think i did it alright but seriously this **** is ****ed up ...and sorry for the language
    anyways....i got WinXP
    My 40GB HD (master) is about 40GB
    Today i installed a 80GB HD on the slave connection...it shows up and all that but i only got 32GB on it
    WTF is going on lol...did someone screw me up or what
    peace

/scriptkiddie18

You may have to use the floppy disk that came with the drive to update your Bios so it will see the full 80 gig

Happy new year,

I am thinking that the drive came in a sealed plastic bag, rather than a fancy box................it is "OEM"........you need to go to the HDD manufacturer's website and get their installation software.

It will create a boot disk............just boot from that and follow the onscreen instructions.

Cheers & happy new year

Someone told me it could be the BIOS also...i am thinking about updating my BIOS right now once i get the number of my BIOS, but i will try your way also...thanks
    peace

/scriptkiddie18

[edit] DeadAddict i got a cd with my drive..had some crap on it, a lifeguard or something
    not much else...i accidentaly restarted with the cd inside and i got some crap looking like an error to me...i really donno wtf is going on lol...but ill try to update my system
    thanks all...if you have any other ideas please let me know[/edit

Try when sober?

Can't remember who, but "lifeguard" is from one of the HDD manufacturers.

The manufacturers stuff will override the BIOS............if your BIOS already accepts a 40Gig drive....it should accept an 80? The manufacturer's software should allow a proper install

If you still have problems, please post back with the hardware details and stuff that we would need to know to try to help you

I am really pissed off about having to sacrifice chickens and examine their entrails

Happy New Year

EDIT: Please ignore any apparent rudeness.........not intended I assure you......

Have you checked the jumper switches on the back of the HDDs? Most HDDs are arrogant, and assume that they are the only HDD......a bit like the Mormons?

Try setting HDD0 to "Master" and HDD1 to "Slave"......cable connect might work..but if you do it this way it SHOULD!

You will need tweezers or small pliers to move the jumper connections..make sure that you ground (earth) yourself first!!!

Good luck..and keep us posted

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I recently went through fits installing an 80g drive. It was a Maxtor and came with a MAXblast CD. When I used the utility on the CD it was willing to partition the drive as NTFS and the full 80gb partition. Unfortunately when I tried to move my data from the original drive, which was FAT32 the MAXblast wouldn't do it, partitions had to match FAT styles. So I redid the new drive for FAT32 and guess what it only partioned the 32gb.

I wound up installing the 80gb as a "blank" master and building it from the floor up. I'm now NTFS with 80gb on the master (winXP). It took a week to get all of my data moved from the slave (original) and get all of the upgrades for the rebuild. Don't you just love Windows' upgradeablity?

PS. setting the drives up as cable select is an awesome idea, it's a lot easier moving that cable than those &*@%^ straps!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Nobody has mentioned this yet... FAT32 only supports drive sizes up to 32 GB. To use anything larger you must either divide it into partitions of less than 32 GB or use NTFS.

There is no other way to my knowledge.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Striek - I acturally have a 120GB FAT-32 Partition that is working without any problems... (See attached file)

The only problem I have is that files are limited to about 2 or 4GB in size...

Acturally, Microsoft says it is possible, only that their format tool will not do it. http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Edit:
    Reuploaded file... I forgot to clear the title bar for the HDD Label...

Tim is right I have 40 and 60 Gig drives running FAT32 as single partitions. I used the HDD manufacturer's software.

Cheers