Thread: Back to the future

Talking Back to the future

Ive been around the hacking community (or should i say security) for a couple of years, not to inflict damage but to have a deeper understanding of computers. i have read many hacker tales books (and cant wait for the new mitnick one) and they amaze me to no end, but the most exciting tales are from around the 1980's when they used slow pc's and even thow crappier even the best hackers used commodore 64's! for example (from the book underground) the WANK worm and the other australian hackers. A lot of people say to stay out of trouble you should build a network of your own to hack, with i have done many times, but they all state with linux or windoze boxes.
    I have had an idea to make a commodore 64 network (or with similar computers) and really learn the oldskool stuff (quote from some wise man: civilisations who do not research there history's are surely doomed). I just want to know if anybody has done this before or could give me some tips.

Thanx in advance

p.s. (i have heard on an commodore 64 running apache and a website : how cool)

I found the complete archive of texts devoted to hacking and exploring the commodore series at http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/ called Chacking it is really good and i recommend it to anyone interested on the subject.
    btw i will post a tutorial on networking/hacking the machine as soon as i can lay my hands on a few of them.
    Reply still with your accounts of the commodores and any tips u guys have!

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    If you're going back in time you might like to learn how to whistle a perfect 2600Hz

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_box

And before you ask, yes it did work.. I was young an foolish then...

I used an Amiga to make the tones and managed from the UK to dial a freephone # that connected me to Hawaii and then with a few tones phoned my dad back FOC.

Only did it the once though - since I did it at my mates house & he freaked and got me paranoid for a while.

<Sigh> The Old Days </sigh>

/edit

I found the details for the blue box surfing dial up bulleting boards with a 2400 baud modem!
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

kool as i would love to do the whole capt'n crunch thing but the phone systems in Australia(where i live) are suposedly secure, i have heard a lot of stories about phreaking (but not in aus), did you ever explore any systems using the amiga? can you telnet to unix/linux with one? so many questions, so little answers.

Oh well off to do some research. Keep sending stuff!