Thread: My third trogan in the past two weeks

Unhappy My third trogan in the past two weeks

I run on Windows Xp home and I have now found my third Trojan of the past two weeks in this folder, C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Kernel32 , and the Trojan was named as hider.exe

Do I need this folder our can it safely be deleted. Any information on this folder would be great.

third trojan in two weeks? Ok i am also a newbie and i dont know if you should remove it for certain (even though i know that normally it shouldn't be such an easy task) but..... do you use any firewall protection or antivirus software? If not consider that carefully....also consider carefully becoming a linux user.....
    Cheers
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

[jk]Seems you are not practicing safe computing.. get a condom..[/jk]

I would not recomend deleteing the C:\Program Files\Windows NT Folder. If it has a subfolder Kernal32 It could be sus..

A quick search on the file you mention yeilded the following..

http://antivirus.nih.gov/archives/floodvar.asp
    http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...&q=hider%2Eexe

You may be best advised to D/L The Cleaner from Moosoft.. and remove the crap properly..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yes I do use Norton firewall 2004 and Norton antivirus 2004. And the way I found the Trojans is from the cleaner, and yes I have deleted the trogans. I was just wondering if it was ok to delete the folder holding them because it has other files in it. I would love to linux but i have smaller ones using the computer to, and i don't think the would like if i changed the OS.

Have you thought about making accounts for them ? If not then maybe it might be a good idea. Here's an article that should help you do that :
    Sharing a Computer - Create User Accounts

Also I would not recommened that you use software like Kazaa since well it's virus ridden.

As for deleting the sub-folder humm well since I dont know much info about it. I dont know what files are within that sub-folder. I really wouldn't advise that you delete it.

I hope this helps ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

hider.exe does as its name implys. it hides things. its not a trojan in itself but is used by worms and warez group hackers to hide processes they dont want you to see, like radmin, serve-u, an mIRC client just about anything. my guess is its not the third trojan you got but a third component of the first one. do an update for you AV software and do a full system scan.

id also venture to say you firewall is not configured correctly to allow these things in

im not familar with XPhome but i cant imagine microsoft puting system files in the "programs" directory. system32 yes but not programs. if you would, please list the other files in that directory.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

when little ones use the computer is wise to monitor what they download and what cookies/etc that they accept, basicially secure your system down, but at the same time tell the other users to ask you before downloading or using anything suspicious.