Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hottest topic in the computer viruses industry

Banned

Hottest topic in the computer viruses industry

Hey guys.Well,I'm going to write a tutorial on computer viruses and wanna know which topic is the hottest in this industry these days.Just tell me which topic would you really like to read about.Or which topic is being the most talked about these days.Please note that the topic must be related to computer viruses.Thanks.
    P.S if you're gonna say Blaster Worm then forget it because I've already written a free ebook on the Blaster Worm which you can download from:
    http://www.virustimes.cjb.net/msblast/download.html
    anyway thanks.

I would be interested in reading a tutorial on worms if possible, specifically those that employ the DCOM vulnerability. Infection methodology, general behavior, and detection and prevention methods would be good things to write on.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

How about:

"If I did not have a traditional AV scanner, how could I prevent virus infection"

This is sort of related to one of my pet topics which is "second line" defences. How does this stuff get in (in general) and what ought we to do to keep it out?

Cheers

Banned
    Hey nihil,
    do you mean that I should write about how to protect oneself from viruses without using an Anti Virus program?

Originally posted here by ali1
    Hey nihil,
    do you mean that I should write about how to protect oneself from viruses without using an Anti Virus program?
    That one might be pretty simple... remove cdrom and floppy drives and don't connect to the internet. Oh, you may want to disable the adding of other hardware too... like zip drives and usb flash drives. Then it be nearly impossible to get infected.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by D0pp139an93r
    I would be interested in reading a tutorial on worms if possible, specifically those that employ the DCOM vulnerability. Infection methodology, general behavior, and detection and prevention methods would be good things to write on.
    The tutorial I wrote here on the MS Blaster Worm gives a good bit of insight into several of those things. Many of the techniques employed there can be carried onto different worms, and re-used again and again in future events.

Doesn't answer everything, but it might be of some help, atleast for now.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Banned
    But I still don't get which topic is the hottest.May be I should write one on the Swen Worm?

Hi Ali 1,

Well, not quite run with NO AV and NO firewall. What I had in mind was more along the lines of "as well as".

I was thinking of stuff like Registry protection, management of scripts running, e-mail management, checksummers, spyware, trojans, botware. In other words, the kind of thing that your regular AV and firewall may not be too good at?

There are a lot of minor/fringe produscts out there that do this kind of thing, and a lot of them are "free"

If you would like some leads to this stuff please PM me and I will give you names/links to some that I have found.

You write a nice TUT, and I am a lazy b*****d so I would be glad if you took up this "leg of the relay race" so to speak.

Cheers

Johnno

it might be helpfull to list their methods of attack. what a log would look like on a machine thats been attacked by one. what ports they open for back doors. if you could, the methods virus writes use to access infected machines (specially written clients, telnet, nc, irc, etc.) and how thay are notified of the ones infected (irc, email, dns calls, etc).
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You could write something about Honey Pots (not really virus related but it is unique and hasn't been done before)
    Just my $0.02