Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: locking files

locking files

Hello,

If i have files on my computer that i want to hide or lock, is their a way that i can make it so that you can't see the folder, and or open it.

Also is their a way that you can program it so that if you type in a certain password it wipes out some files and leaves the rest.

For EX: you type in the password hello and you get to your files. you type in the password delete and certain files get wiped off your computer and all thats left is the files that you want to be left.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It would help to know what OS you are using and if you are a simple user on that OS or if you are administrator (Win2K/XP have some limitations as users).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

My OS is XP and i am not an admistrator although i do have the admin password.

Also is their a way that you can program it so that if you type in a certain password it wipes out some files and leaves the rest.
    You could do that if you know how to program. Or maybe ask someone to code the program for you. As I am unaware of any programs that can do this for you.

Is their for your own personal use? for your own computer ? It would help us knowing. Like MsM has stated as well knowing your OS would be nice as well.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

and i am not an admistrator although i do have the admin password.
    Ok just a little bit of advice before you get flammed by others. You might not wanna post information like this here. As many people are admin's themselves and will find this offensive.

If this is not your computer doing things like this will only get you in trouble.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Banned
    Like MsM has stated as well knowing your OS would be nice as well.
    he said he runs XP. Now you can add the folder to a simple zip file (with WinZip) and password protect it, or you can go to a folders properties and choose change icon and choose the blank icons so it will appear that there is no folder, and change the folder name to a space. Right click on folder->rename-> hold down alt and press 255.

blank icons so it will appear that there is no folder, and change the folder name to a space.
    Of course, you could only do that to one file...and it would remain hidden as long as nobody was looking for it. Not a bad idea in a pinch though

There are also a few peculiarities with deleting files on XP...I tested a few different software products that were supposed to securely delete files, and I still was able to find them. I'm not sure if it has something to do with NTFS...

There are also freeare programs that will lock up files for you..but by locking up a file, you're pretty much telling your admin "look here!!"..again, not foolproof.

Another strategy...but still not foolproof... create an innocent looking directory under windows/sys32..something like dllsubset, and put all your files in there...a diligent admin will still notice something unusual.

as far as my knowledge, you can give passwords to files in NT...
    but is there any programme to lock programs by assigning passwords in other OS like, 98/2000 etc.
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

locking your files, maybe you can go to view and select hide folders, that may help you and change the properties of the folder or files, or go to google and find the folder locker i forgot the link were to download it but it locks the folder you want to lock

If you use EFS (encryption) that will make it relatively secure except admin has the recovery role,(only on NTFS) if you can lockout admin (change admin password) then you are secure.

(you're still asking for trouble)

Krang
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z